I am seriuosly considering buy a new 05 RSTD. What scares me is what I have been reading about a whining and a chirping noise that some say is really loud and aggrevating. Is this common on all RSTD bikes? I know I probably wouldn't like to hear these noises cruising at highway speeds.Some say the noise problem can be fixed, some say it will never go away. I just don't want to have to get rid of the bike soon after I buy it. I like everything else about the bike. I know all new bikes have their problems. But is this a serious enough problem to keep somebody from buying this bike? Your honest comments will be appreciated.

That is hard to say. My 06 did not have it at all until about 600 miles into the bike. It was surely noticable and it was worrisome. My dealer Intalled the "I" basket for me and it the volume of the noise has greatly diminished to where I am not sure anyone would notice it if they did not know to listen for it. I would suggest you ride the 05 you are considering and see if you like the bike. It would be impossible for anyone to really tell you if the whine/chirp would be unbearable for you. For most here, the bikes benefits outweigh the negatives. For me personally, if the "I" basket had not improved the chirp on my bike I would have been ok because I got used to it and just love the bike. The cirp is due to the straight cut gears...very strong but noisier than helical cut gears. It's never going to break and Yamaha backs it with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty...try to find that on any other bike on the planet.

It is only a fairly small percentage of bikes from what I can tell that have the whine/chirp as a real loud problem. My 07 started right around 600 miles, it was annoying but not real loud like I've heard some say. I switched to a full synthetic oil at first change and now it is hardly noticeable.

Like was said, the bike comes with a 5 year warranty, so I wouldn't let the chirp stop you. What would worry more about is what you think of your local dealers. We have three local Yamaha dealers near me, one is absolutely terrible. If he was the only one I would not buy any Yamaha product for fear of having to deal with them if any problem did arise.

As long as you have a decent dealer nearby, go for it.

VW, I have an 05 RSTD with 13,500 miles on it. Yes I do have a slight chirp. No whine that I can hear, but then I have some hearing loss. No, I don't need a set of used hearing aids.:rotf:

I am using Mobil 1 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil. I don't think the whine is that much of a problem. I bought mine used and really love the bike. No one can say for sure if you ever have the problem. I had the same concerns you do when I was looking at the bike but went for it any way. I know I made the right choice in buying the RSTD.:080402gudl_prv:

I don't think it's an issue for most. These motors do have some straight cut gear whine. The clutch whine on mine isn't too noticeable and then I wear ear phones while listening to my ipod and have bubs. When I run around without the windshield it's very diminished. I think much of it is the "acoustics" with the shield and the lower cowling resonating the sound back.

I am seriuosly considering buy a new 05 RSTD. What scares me is what I have been reading about a whining and a chirping noise that some say is really loud and aggrevating. Is this common on all RSTD bikes? I know I probably wouldn't like to hear these noises cruising at highway speeds.Some say the noise problem can be fixed, some say it will never go away. I just don't want to have to get rid of the bike soon after I buy it. I like everything else about the bike. I know all new bikes have their problems. But is this a serious enough problem to keep somebody from buying this bike? Your honest comments will be appreciated.

I do not have this issue that I know of. If you can test ride the bike, then I guess you will know. I had a 98 Royal before this and it sounded fine to me also.