IGNORED

Royal Star Boulevard Aftermarket Exhaust

Guest Haloids

Guest Haloids

I am a happy and proud owner of either a Royal Star Boulevard or Royal Star Tour Classic with four (4) exhaust headers and mufflers. I am living in Thailand where big bikes are taboo, but here as a gray market offering, most bikes coming from Japan. The serial numbers are removed and restamped by the Thailand Department of Revenue so I am not sure of the year, but I did own a 2000 Royal Star Boulevard in the US that I purchased new. I want to install some aftermarket slip-on mufflers but am not having any luck finding pipes due to the age of the bike. Any help would be appreciated. :bang head:

Well, there is still an option left. I know there was something that was not available anymore. Maybe it was just the turn out style like mine. The thing that stinks about having four mufflers is that twice the mufflers are twice as expensive. Four mufflers sure look cool though, and not very many bikes ever had four mufflers on them.

Guest Haloids

Thanks all for the help. I had tried to order the Cobra 2169SC's from a couple of vendors with no luck as they say no longer available. I have just placed an order with Phatperformance so will see what happens. Any idea where I might find some used mufflers? Thanks again for all the support.

Guest Haloids

Black and Creme two tone. No luck with Phatperformance, they are also NIS. Appreciate all of the response. Will get a pic posted, just need a couple of days to find a digital camera

Guest Haloids

I have posted some pictures of my RS. I believe it either a 96 or 97 based upon the feedback from members here.

The Tour Classic bags can be deceiving as the dealers here tend to add whatever they can get there hands on to make the bikes more marketable, so I am not sure if they were on the bike or added by the bike brokers here in Thailand.

Also posted a pic of my other Yamaha. My daily driver and the only way to navigate the traffic in the cities here.

Thanks all for you feedback.

Thanks for the pics. Those are Yamaha factory bags, whether they were added later or not. On that model I would guess that they were already there. I'm going to say '97 on the year too, but still not positive.

I drilled out the stock mufflers on my wife's bike. I think they sound absolutely terrible. Not my thing. But I guess some like it.

With big bikes being taboo there, having that bike ought to be particularly prestigious. Yamaha and their "gray market". Does anyone use that term besides them?

Guest Haloids

The term Gray Market refers to both cars and bikes that are imported, taxes paid and the serial numbers restamped/re-issued where there is no factory dealers who sell the particular model new in the country.

While this is a fairly unique bike, there are hundreds if not thousands of gray market bikes here, mostly sport bikes, and now there is an authorized H-D dealer in Bangkok, so it is possible to buy a brand new Harley (but at considerable expense due to the import duties).

Before 2008 the largest bikes produced/allowed for sale new in the country were limited to 200cc. Now with the opening of the HD dealership the options are increasing as there are some new BMW's, Triumph's, Yamaha's and Kaws, Suzuki's and even Aprillas starting to arrive. Again, very expensive as the duty is 205% of the list retail.

I appreciate you input on the year, and after taking a closer look I believe that the bags have been on this bike for a while so probably was a Tour Classic originally. I think that I will pass on drilling out the baffles and continue to look for some aftermarket mufflers on the used market. Thanks again. Hank

Yamaha uses the term "gray market" on their pianos also, ones that they deem have been sold outside their designated delivery area. They claim that different humidity and climate conditions in different parts of the country or even different parts of the world have caused problems with their pianos, sometimes very major problems. If they decide that a piano is outside of its delivery area, they will refuse to warranty it or even supply repair parts even if the customer is willing to buy them and pay for the work. I think it's pretty crummy. Pianos are made of wood and are subject to humidity conditions, so there may be a grain of truth to what they say. But the funny thing is that no other piano manufacturer in the industry has these problems or these stipulations. Yamaha is the only one. Not even the other major Japanese manufacturer, Kawai, does this. I say Yamaha just uses cheap materials. (I'm a piano tuner by profession.)

Vehicles are not subject to climate conditions like pianos are. So does Yamaha warranty any gray market bikes there that would be new enough to have it? Does anyone else? Or are you just stuck with no warranty on anything at all there?

that is a 96 tour classic I, looks to be all stock setup. i had a friend that pssed 2 years ago, and had bought one about 6 months earlier. he had the blue and white 96. i haven't talk to his wife in awhile, but she was trying to sell it then. i have a brand new fender in that color that came with his bike when he bought it.

Guest Haloids

Nope, no warranty, no service, no support. There are some shade tree mechanics here but I wouldn't trust anyone that I can't communicate with, and most of these guys have very limited English. I am on my own so I am hoping that the RS is fairly bulletproof. I do have a service manual so I have been reading quite a bit.

Any thoughts on why the turn signal cancel feature might not work. Is that feature on all RStars?

• 1 month later...

I drilled 4 (four) - 1/2" holes around each exhaust, sounds better but still not deep like a twin. Definitely the cheapest, tho. Took two mufflers off one side (straight exhaust) and fired it up, sounded terrible. The pipe diameter is too small. I agree with pegscraper, whose bike by the way looks really good, try ebay for some Cobra tips.

I have searched extensively for a way to do the exhaust on my 1998 boulevard to keep the four pipes unfortunately the companies that made the good looking ones quit making them due to a so called low demand unless you find them used its impossible and if you do find them used they look like **** cuz there old. so here is what I came up with. after emailing all the big companies I finally got a hold of a Jennifer Eagle who works at bub and had some custom headers made they are the two to one they were 89$ for the front and 89$ for the back thats cheaper than getting them used from a venture. If you want to keep the four pipes you wont have much luck which is why I went down to the two this offers unlimited options as far as putting whatever type of muffler on. I just went ahead and purchased the hard bags and brackets and some off road old gen screaming eagle ll everything will go on all at once in the spring so ill let ya know how it sounds but I contemplated this problem for a while asking everyone I could to point me in a workable direction and this is the only thing I came up with that appealed to me good luck