IGNORED

Fuel Strainer

Guest snowburner

Guest timshosvt

On an 83 there is a nylon screen filter tube structure on the petcock that extends into the gas tank about 3 cm or so. This was present on the replacement Yamaha part that I put in, but had been eaten away on the one that I replaced.

I bought part this part at Zanottimotor.com in Butler, PA for 23.66 US. Here is a cut/paste from another site....It's number 9 in the parts fiche and includes the gasket.

9FUEL COCK ASY 1
26H-24500-00-00
1$24.58

Tim

CORRECTION

my bad!

yes. there are TWO "micro nylon" tubular screens,on the petcock assembly.

when you said "screen", my mind looked for a FLAT mesh screen, and i answered NO.

back to the tubular screens.one is about 31/2 inches long,that is for the "on" setting. the other ,is about 1 1/2 inches long, and it is for the "reserve " setting.

sorry to have posted bad info.

just jt

Hipshot,

When you had yours apart, did you actually get it so you could use it?

I can turn mine with a pair of pliers, so I just turned it to reserve.

I do think that it would be a good idea to take it off and take it apart and get it working smoothly though.

So then that is the only fuel filter? Those two screens?

Steve

Hipshot,

When you had yours apart, did you actually get it so you could use it?

I can turn mine with a pair of pliers, so I just turned it to reserve.

I do think that it would be a good idea to take it off and take it apart and get it working smoothly though.

So then that is the only fuel filter? Those two screens?

Steve

Steve. the only way to make the "knob", easy to turn, is to not seat it really tight. then you have a leaky petcock.

to answer your question, NO, it doesn't turn any easier, after i took it all apart, and cleaned everything.

i just set mine on reserve, and left it.

as long as your gas gage works, and your mind is "in gear", there isn't any reason for running out of gas.

lol

just jt

thanks thought i had lost my mind does the 83 still have a couple strainers in the tank under the petcock?

The petcock assembly has a fine screen tube that goes up into the tank. Then there is a fuel filter on the left side just at the front of the tire just inside of where the passenger footpeg is, but you have to have the sidecover off to see it. It's hard to change unless you have the rear wheel off.

there's a reserve on the petcock? I got an 83 and just looks like on and off. If someone could answer this might help in a pinch. and yes mine is snug to turn but turns up for off i guess and to the right for on?

The years after 83, have reserve, we have on / off only.