IGNORED

1st gen solid motor mounts

capn eddie

i'm getting ready to install solid mounts in my 87 vr a need to know what needs to be removed to do this. :think: i have read the post on how to wiggel the mounts in just need to know what to do to get to that point. i asume the air box, battery and battery box, does the radiator need to be removed. need the info so i dont get something wrong.:bang head:

Your going to want to remove all that, the Rad, Air box, and the pipes. It's a very tight fit in there and you'll want all the room you can get. Many times it seems like if you try to short cut it, it takes longer. I know others will pipe up with other advise.

i'm getting ready to install solid mounts in my 87 vr a need to know what needs to be removed to do this. :think: i have read the post on how to wiggel the mounts in just need to know what to do to get to that point. i asume the air box' date=' battery and battery box, does the radiator need to be removed. need the info so i dont get something wrong.:bang head:[/quote']

I dont remember taking out the air box, battery box, or radiator. I did take the fairings off and all the plastic from the middle up to front. I did disconnect all the engine mount bolts and I believe the exhaust. Had to move the motor around to access the mounts. Also had to cut down the higher front mount tube that surrounds the bolt.

Stupid maybe but what is the advantage of theese solid mounts?:confused24:

The advantage is that it takes a lot of flex out of the frame and greatly improves handling. The improvement in corning stability is great. Keep in mind that the older rubber ones may be worn also so even new stock rubber one will give improvements.

Joe

i'm getting ready to install solid mounts in my 87 vr a need to know what needs to be removed to do this. :think: i have read the post on how to wiggel the mounts in just need to know what to do to get to that point. i asume the air box' date=' battery and battery box, does the radiator need to be removed. need the info so i dont get something wrong.:bang head:[/quote']

Heres a pic of what was removed on mine, lol! Of course i had other issues too!

Brian:rotfl:

Oops hit wrong button check next post for pic!

DOH! ok here is pic

well i dont think i will go that far, but i do have all the plastic parts off for new paint. also now is a good time to clean motor and frame . thank's to everyone for your info, this is the best club with the best and most informed members i have ever belonged to. :clap2:

Stupid maybe but what is the advantage of theese solid mounts?:confused24:

Yes handling was improved on mine got rid of high speed wobble. It was the only thing that made a difference not fork brace or progressive springs etc. I would put them all in the hard one is the left rear one have to twist the motor pretty good to get it in. It was worth the pain to put them in.

Car guys replace rubber front suspension bushings with a teflon-like material to improve handling. Why not use this stuff for motor mounts on the VR?

The solid engine mounts are used for the '99 to present Venture and are readily available. The only drawback is perhaps a little more vibration from the engine up to the bars. Although, I did not notice that when I replaced my mounts. So, would there be an advantage to using Teflon like material over solid aluminum? Keep in mind, they are engine mounts and do get hot.

Joe

I believe that Blue Mountain SportMax carries the Delrin bushings for about $85.00 a set.

GigaWhiskey put the metal mounts on his 1985 and swears by them. I can agree that 20+ year old rubber will become soft. Brake hoses, mounts, grommets, and covers are all suceptible. I will be investigating the mounts about January when I check the swing arm area. I think problems with the pivot points in the rear may cause a greater handling problem than the motor mounts. I would suspect that the mounts stiffen the bike frame and then mask the suspension problems. Most of the time, motor mounts are replaced to tighten up torque transfer and to make the resultant frame twist more predictable and manageable. Of course that is my opinion:whistling: and we all know how those can go!

JB

I believe that Blue Mountain SportMax carries the Delrin bushings for about $85.00 a set.

GigaWhiskey put the metal mounts on his 1985 and swears by them. I can agree that 20+ year old rubber will become soft. Brake hoses, mounts, grommets, and covers are all suceptible. I will be investigating the mounts about January when I check the swing arm area. I think problems with the pivot points in the rear may cause a greater handling problem than the motor mounts. I would suspect that the mounts stiffen the bike frame and then mask the suspension problems. Most of the time, motor mounts are replaced to tighten up torque transfer and to make the resultant frame twist more predictable and manageable. Of course that is my opinion:whistling: and we all know how those can go!

JB

This is an area I should check too (Swing arm) . I cant get grease into one of the nipples even after cleaning it out by removing it. Concerns me a little.