IGNORED

Zumo to Google Earth

StarFan

Greetings all!

I have a small issue I would like to lay on the table.

I have a new Zumo 500 and the MapSource map/software for North America as well as Iceland installed on my computer as well on my memory card in the Zumo. Have been planing some routes from Woodstock twn,NY to Oberlin OH. for my trip to Freebirds Maintenance Day.

When I make a route on the map that is stored in my computer I can push a button that says "open in Google Earth". No problem there - it opens in Google Earth but the route does not follow the roads. Just straight lines from each trackpoint to another that I had made in the MapSource. Doesn´t help much if I want to take a ride in 3D on Google Earth to see the landscape I will be riding through.

Does anybody know if there is a way around this to make the route follow the roads in Google Earth, previously trackpointed in the MapSource map?

Then again - Maybe this is not compatible???? :think: :think: :think:

Note that transferring the routes from the computer to my Zumo is no problem and works just fine.

Hope you get my drift!

I get your drift, but won't be much help with GPS units. But I would think that any Google Earth pic you could get on a small portable GPS on your bike (or car) would not be a very good choice, because it would be hard to see anything.

I like paper maps, I have a small book that I tape to my tank and can flip pages that I print out from Google Maps.

There is so much beauty on this earth, and of course in the US you plan to visit, just use the roads as usual on the GPS and your your eyes to see the real thing!

Be sure to get off the interstate as much as possible, especially through the middle states, it is pretty boring.

Hope you have a great trip.

But I would think that any Google Earth pic you could get on a small portable GPS on your bike (or car) would not be a very good choice, because it would be hard to see anything.

Hey Dynodon.

You got it all wrong. Not intending to put anything from Google Earth into my Zumo. I put the routes I make on the MapSource map software into the Zumo as anybody would do. What I use Google Earth for is to see the landscape on forehand on my computer and one can put Google Earth in "flying mode" for example and fly over the land in 3D vision or ride the routes in 3D - Zoom in or out - pick any perspective one wants and so forth. So - using it as a help tool to make a final decision on programming my routes in the MapSource/Zumo.

Edited by StarFan

I've been playing with this sort of thing for a few days now. I was using MS Streets and trips and I take a route that I've saved. Using GPSBabble I can transfer it to MapSource. When I open it in MapSource it goes from waypoint to waypoint in straight lines as the crow flies. All I have to do is right click on the route and choose recalibrate. Voila!!! All is perfect. Does Google Earth have a recalibrate??

It sounds like you are seeing the route data that Garmin uses. Their routes are point to intermediate point to intermediate point. When I open the GPX Mapsource creates, I see just that. Line to line. The Garmin software and routing GPSr units do the plotting as needed. That's why sometimes what I see in Mapsource is a different route than that the GPSr takes me over--they use different routing algorithms.

That said, using the newest version of Mapsource, I can "recalculate" the route so that it creates the over-road route. Then I use the "View in Google Earth" command and the route drawn over the roadway is imported into GE. That is, I can see the zillion minor turns in the less-than-straight roads.

Are you using the latest version of MapSource?