IGNORED

2006 Tour Deluxe...HELP!!!

Guest raptorman

Guest raptorman

I have 2006 with 5000 miles on it. I started it last week and it ran rough right away and would stall when I opened the throttle...ran a bit better when really warmed up. I never had this problem. It was supposedly synced when the dealer had it at 3000 miles. The bike did sit for about three weeks before I sterted it. I addes Seafoam at that point to the fuel. I also ordered a Carbtune Pro and was able to sync the carbs after the bike was very warm. The bike ran very good a couple of days ago. Yesterday the same crap again...choppy running. The only thing I can think of is I may have left the choak open while riding before it first ran choppy last week before I synced. Is it possible I fouled a plug leaving the choak open? Does it make sense the bike would run much better when really warmed up because the plug is firing a bit better even though it could be fouled? I really think the carbs are synced properly. Also, the socket that came with the bike to remove the plugs fits on the plug ,but I guess I need a special ratchet to fit on the long plug socket? Do I need to remove the large brackets on the front jugs to get to the front plugs? Do you think it could be the plugs? It pops on deceleration and definitly it missing or out of tune.

Thanks.

Ty

Guest raptorman

I just want to add that when I use to turn the key on and then flip the red ignition switch on i would get a long prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound I guess from the fuel pump..now it juts got ppp...real short ..is the fule pump bad...does it make sense that i can warm it up and then ride, but it runs a bit choppy if the pump is bad?

Ty

It depends how long it was since the bike was last run how long the fuel pump has to run to pump up pressure when you turn the key. The longer the bike has set, the longer the pump will run. But if it's only been a day or so, you won't hear much out of it. If it's really running this badly and you don't know what to do, I'd let the dealer mess with it.

Raptorman,

Not sure I can help you, but I will be traveling through Florida next week.

I just looked at your profile and dont know what city you live in to see if I am riding by your front door or not.

I will be in Orlando Sunday, leaving there and arriving in Sarasota Weds afternoon, leaving Sarasota Friday and arriving back home in Huntsville Saturday.

If Im going to be any where close to where you live let me know and Ill stop to help you..

You can send me a P-Email if yuo want with the city you live in ,and if I am coming that way, I will bring my carb tune and tools and make a stop at your place to see if I can help you.

:thumbsup2:

Guest raptorman

Eck, thanks so much for the offer but I am up here in Orange Park near Jackosnville, Fl.

I did talk to a guy I like at the local stealership and I will take it in early tomorrow. I think I may have gunked up the carbs or fouled plugs. I just want it fixed and he will not rape me. Then I will be sure to ride it more often. I never had a bike that was so frickin' tempermental with gas, but I like the bike.

Ty

Guest raptorman

Once again, how do I get the plugs out with the generic socket that comes with the bike? The picture in the manual shows a hole on the side of the shaft at the top of the socket...mine doesnt have any holes on it. Do I need a slecial ratched to git on the top? There is not much clearance between the frame and the top of the socket shaft.

Ty

Once again, how do I get the plugs out with the generic socket that comes with the bike? The picture in the manual shows a hole on the side of the shaft at the top of the socket...mine doesnt have any holes on it. Do I need a slecial ratched to git on the top? There is not much clearance between the frame and the top of the socket shaft.

Ty

You can reach it with a short socket it's not that hard but you do have to take the gas tank and bones off on the front two.

Ty

I don't remember the exact details, but I know I did check the tools that came with my 05 to verify I could actually take a plug out with them on the road (I carry a cylinder powered air compressor, so that's important). I seem to recall that you have to use a combination of tools to do it - maybe both of the sockets together and an open-end wrench to turn it? You can play around with the left rear plug without taking anything off, so just experiment. You can do it with the stock tools.

But once you are sure you know how to take the plug out, you will have to pull the tank and top engine mounts to get the front plugs. Not hard, just a PITA. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Eck, thanks so much for the offer but I am up here in Orange Park near Jackosnville, Fl.

I did talk to a guy I like at the local stealership and I will take it in early tomorrow. I think I may have gunked up the carbs or fouled plugs. I just want it fixed and he will not rape me. Then I will be sure to ride it more often. I never had a bike that was so frickin' tempermental with gas, but I like the bike.

Ty

My 07 Venture did that for a couple days after I let it set for a month,, but I took it for a long ride, down to Daytona (I live between Jax and St Augustine), and it seem to clear up,, I just try to make sure I start it regularly and not let it sit too long now..

My old Kaw was carbureted and it would act up if I let it sit too long also,,

on another royal star forum, we do what we call a "techron flush" to our bikes to keep the carbon from building up and causing running problems. go to walmart and get a bottle of techron additive and add it to a full tank of gas or close to it. take your bike on a good hard run on the interstate if possible and run out the whole tank of gas or most of it. try to keep the revs up and not run in 5th gear(it won't hurt these engines!) if it the first time you do it and you have a lot of miles, your bike may spit and sput and blow out black soot and sparks. when you get home you will need to change the oil because there will be a lot of carbon in it. i usually do this near a oil chance time and about ever 3rd oil change. the guy who can up with this has a 96 royal with near 200,000 miles on his bike. he's glen fritzgearld, starrider96-starrider05 from ga. hope this helps ya'll out with keeping your bike running it's best, don.

:Venture:

Then I will be sure to ride it more often. I never had a bike that was so frickin' tempermental with gas, but I like the bike.

Ty

Just wanted to assure you that these bikes are NOT particularly temperamental with gas. There are a lot of the 2nd gens over 5 years old with low mileage, and relatively few people complain of carb problems. I do ride mine a lot, but after I crashed the 05 last summer it sat for over 5 months with NO gas additives or any prep after the crash. After I finally got around to fixing it, it fired right up and has run perfectly for another 20,000 miles.

Not sure what your problem has been, but don't assume it is typical of the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Just wanted to assure you that these bikes are NOT particularly temperamental with gas. There are a lot of the 2nd gens over 5 years old with low mileage, and relatively few people complain of carb problems. I do ride mine a lot, but after I crashed the 05 last summer it sat for over 5 months with NO gas additives or any prep after the crash. After I finally got around to fixing it, it fired right up and has run perfectly for another 20,000 miles.

Not sure what your problem has been, but don't assume it is typical of the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Now that you have said that, I want to mention many of the bikes I've owned over the years would sit for long periods with no problems when finally started. When I was in CA I was in the Navy and would be out to sea for weeks or months at a time and neither my 76 Honda or my 78 Yamaha had problems after sitting, and when I lived in MI, my bikes would sit all winter, often with little to no prep, and might start hard but usually ran fine after a day or two, and none of my bikes there had issues with sitting for less than a month. But since I have lived in Florida both my bikes have done this on occasion. I wonder if the gas in this area is different than other areas and might be part of the problem.