IGNORED

Tint on Demand Visor

Freebird

Guest tx2sturgis

From the website:

The Gemini is a completely new concept. It uses the "E-Tint" electro-LCD system, developed by AlphaMicron in partnership with the U.S. Air Force for fighter pilot helmet visors!

I read the article and watched the video, and yeah, its cool, but self-darkening welding helmets have had this ability for years...I wonder why they didnt mention them? Those are powered by simple solar panels ( powered by the light from the welding arc) which, by the way, would work on the Akuma helmets ( powered by the sun) and eliminate the need for a battery, or so it seems to me.

I guess its more impressive to say the new visor is related to air-force technology, rather than copied off of 'Joe the Welder' helmets that you can buy at any Harbor Freight Store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46092

:cool17:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Yep....I can see the need for having a swtich, but since these use so little power, why couldnt they incorporate a small solar panel or strip, say a half inch wide amorphous panel, across the very top of the visor, that recharges a small battery, like the cheap calculators have had for years? That way the sun would keep the battery charged, and youd have the battery for use when it was cloudy or maybe when you just want to look 'cool' approaching your fellow riders, then flicking the button so they can tell who you are.

I guess I have this ' I want it MY way and I DONT want to have to do it MYSELF!' attitude. Hey, at least they are trying to give us something that we dont have right now.

I can come up with all kinds of ideas in my head....but getting them to market? Now thats another thing altogether.

Guest tx2sturgis

Not something I need anyway, unless Texas goes back to being a totalitarian insurance-company-backed government nanny 'you will or else' mandatory helmet law type state...Somewhere in the garage my helmet is gathering dust and I sure wont be buying a $179 visor for it.