IGNORED

Airbox mod question

I've read a number of posts on the VR airbox but don't remember much on the square "stack" in the middle of the filter element. What's its purpose - mainly intake noise abatement perhaps? Has anybody removed or shortened it? Its top edge, stock, is between 1/2" and 3/4" from the underside of the filter element. Any results to report?

I know the box is very sensitve to having the top on, and some people like to have some 1/2" holes in the top. But this stack looks like a "flow torture device" to me!

Jeremy

Many folks have experimented with this modification:

Before you do anything, Remove the cover, and try to ride your bike around the block. You will find that the engine runs, BAD, with the cover removed. ( if at all )

I have put 6 , 1/2 inch holes on each side of the cover, Bike runs good, however the Intake Noise gets very loud.

I pluged half the holes, and ran 3 on each side of the cover. Performance , may or may not have improved. But thats a very subjective comment.

Don't make any radical changes to the air box.

My excuse for drilling holes in the top of the airbox was I live at 4500 ft altitude and traveled a lot of the time at even higher altitudes..The bike was running a bit sluggish so I surmised it needed more air...I started out by drilling six 1/2"holes in the lid of the airbox which after a while seemed like too many so I put duct tape on 2 of them..A while later I taped over 2 more..The bike seems to be at its best with just 2 open holes in the airbox...It has more power and the gas mileage is better...

My point is you may have to experiment a little and see what work for you

Edited by bobcat