IGNORED

Keeping Track of MPG

I have filled up with the handle bar all the way to the left, right and middle position. As far as my mpg is concerned, as long as I get an idea as to how much mpg I get is good enough. If I see my mpg that drops below 30 mpg with no special circumstances, this will tell me right away that my Venture is sick.

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1.35 for Regular is Very cheap. ;)

I am also enjoying the low price of gas in our area and I hope it stays that way.

Wish all a safe, healthy and happy 2009.

I just tanked up here in Frankfurt, Germany today and paid:

EUR 1.24/liter of Super which makes about $6.52 a gallon.

please email me some gas :crying:

I've been keeping track of my mileage for the last 3000 miles or so using an application on my Iphone. With a speedohealer corrected odometer I've averaged 34.4 mpg over the last 3000 miles. Attached is a listing of all of my fill-ups. Some of them really suck.

Dennis

Dennis,

Your mpg numbers doesn't look too good. I've never seen your mpg above 40. Have you done the basic maintenance required for your Venture lately? Replace Spark Plugs, Synch Carbs, adjust idle, clean air filters, check tire pressure, and so on are some of the things that you can do yourself with the right equipment.

Hope to see your mpg gradually go up...regards.

Wish all a safe, healthy and happy 2009.

I just tanked up here in Frankfurt, Germany today and paid:

EUR 1.24/liter of Super which makes about $6.52 a gallon.

please email me some gas :crying:

That would be painful on my pocket. Be easy on the throttle and you may get better mpg. For some reason or another, gas prices here in the US is staying on the low side below $2.00 a gallon. No complaints on this end...:97:

Dennis,

Your mpg numbers doesn't look too good. I've never seen your mpg above 40. Have you done the basic maintenance required for your Venture lately? Replace Spark Plugs, Synch Carbs, adjust idle, clean air filters, check tire pressure, and so on are some of the things that you can do yourself with the right equipment.

Hope to see your mpg gradually go up...regards.

I don't expect it to get better. The bike is very well maintained and at 18,000 miles I would say it's broken in. I had an '04 that got the same mileage. I think the key factor is that I have a calibrated speedo/odometer. RSV's seem to be off by about 8%. Both of mine were. So if you are getting 42 mpg with an uncalibrated speedo you're really only getting a true 38.6 mpg.

Another factor that hurts me is that I do a lot of city driving and in cold weather, mid 30's it's not uncommon for me to see 30 mpg. If i'm cruising country roads at less than 60 mpg I can get 40 mpg. If I'm on the interstate at 70+ never better than 35 mpg. This has been consistent with 60,000 combined miles on both bikes. Maybe it's just my riding style. I'm not complaining, it still beats my Tahoe.

Dennis

Very interesting, Dennis. That makes sense that I may be getting the wrong amount of miles on my Venture using the speedo. I have an idea though...Santa gave me a GPS for X-Mas and I can use that to get an accurate reading of my miles travelled on the Venture. Before then, I still have to wait for the RAM mount that I ordered online so I can actually see the results.

I really don't blame you at all...the mpg that you get on the Venture is definitely much better on the Tahoe. If I am not on my Venture, I ride my '08 Prius...so I stay on the 40+ mpg fuel consumption.

Regards and ride safe.