IGNORED

mirror pivot 'stiction'?

6m459

Hi,

My '84's RHS mirror is rock solid and stays where I put it through all kinds of miles. My LHS mirror on the other hand won't stay put and I have to keep repositioning it. It gets pushed towards me at the top presumeably due to the wind buffeting it.

Is there a cheap way to re tension the pivots on these mirrors to add more 'stiction'?

I keep intending to buy a better one on ebay but never get around to it.

Thanks,

Brian H.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/tabanks412/DSC01365.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/tabanks412/DSC01368.jpg

Found this on another site...

I'm not sure you can fix or tighten up a loose mirror ball joint. I know this because not 48 hours after getting my brand new '89 VR, mine fell over in my garage, and I got an up close and personal view of the inner-workings of my now smashed right side mirror. Needless to say, I was then in the market for a NEW right mirror.

However, if you take the whole assembly off, on the underside of the mounting bracket you can see the bottom end of the screw that you'd need to tighten to make the mirror hold a position. See, inside the mirror there's a spring wrapped around this screw that is supposed to hold tension which allows you to position the mirror and have it stay there. Make sense? Maybe you can grab the bottom of that screw with a pair of channel locks or a small vise-grip and tighten the screw. It's worth a shot, because the mirrors are not cheap!

I guess another option may be hacksawing or dremel a slot on the end of the bolt shank so a flat blade screwdriver would work and save the threads.

not 48 hours after getting my brand new '89 VR, mine fell over in my garage, and I got an up close and personal view of the inner-workings of my now smashed right side mirror.

My sympathies on this, I know that sick feeling!

It's worth a shot, because the mirrors are not cheap!

Even on ebay it seems!

Thanks for the excellent photos and suggestion. I will take a look at mine ASAP and see if I can do as you suggest.

One wacky idea I had was to buy a pair of Mazda Miata power mirrors and adapt them to the bike. They look about the right size and profile but I suspect wouldn't give as wide a field of view as the OEM ones. Doubt I'll actually try this solution but cooking up odd ball solutions to this sort of thing helps pass long days at work.

Best regards,

Brian H.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Calcruiser

I was in the process of loading all my gear onto the bike this morning and about to set off on my trip to Seattle when she slide a little on the side stand and bumped against a car.

Just my luck - I broke off the left side mirror. The housing and glass are intact, but the flange where it mounts onto the bracket is broken.

SOOOOO PEEVED RIGHT NOW!!!!

I am wondering if anyone out there has an old mirror or know of any way I might be able to attach the broken flange to the bracket? Or, has anyone looked at fitting some other type of mirror to the bike?

Thank to anyone who might be able to get me up and running and back onto my planned schedule.

Calcruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my right hand side mirror on my 84. After looking at the photos I ran into the garage with a needlenose visegrip and grabbed the end of the screw and it tightened right up. Thanks for the info. It was a quick and simple fix.:)

• 1 month later...

I broke the right mirror off my 86 Venture and successfully re-attached it with epoxy cement. I had to be very careful to get it in the correct position and taped it there before cementing it in place. I worked very well. The mirror can't be adjusted but is in the perfect position and rock steady. My left mirror on the other hand keeps moving with the wind pressure. I may put a dab of epoxy or crazy glue on it too.