IGNORED

tach and running rough???

Ok so my wife and myself took a little trip up the parkway this weekend on our bikes. I have been haveing some mild trouble with the venture and have eliminated either the battery or the stator by haveing the battery replaced and the stotor checked at the dealor. Also had new plugs installed at the same time.

The trouble is annoying but not so much it cant be delt with. What the problem is,is that when you ease the throttle over you get a little skipping and then a sudden surge of power. If you just go ahead and get on the throttle strong then the problem either doesn't exist or can't be felt.

This is where things get a little fuzy for me. Until now I've been thinking synch job, But while on the parway about 400 miles into the trip the tach decided it was going to work. I figure short in the wirring or something. But I also notice that the skip and surge have completely dissapeard. After an hour or so the tach stops working and the skip, surge returns.

I took her out for a short ride today and the same thing acured. Tach started working and efectively lost the skip /surge but this time I took it easy just to see. She was skip/surgeing but not as noticeable. maybe my imagination but being a rooky to this bike this is what I feel when I ride her.

Any help would be gretly apperciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. the tach quite working again and the skip/surge returned although not as bad this time . Like I have already said could be my imagination.

Thanks in advance

David

After an hour or so the tach stops working and the skip, surge returns.

I took her out for a short ride today and the same thing acured. Tach started working and efectively lost the skip /surge but this time I took it easy just to see. She was skip/surgeing but not as noticeable. maybe my imagination but being a rooky to this bike this is what I feel when I ride her.

Thanks in advance

David

See this thread http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=260613

Thanks everyone. I guess it's another trip to the dealor. I took the battery and battery box out as instructed in the threadand realized that I had no idea where to start.

I could see the coil but couldnt figure out how to get to it and as for the tci connector, I don't have any idea what that is.

So either a trip to the dealor or find someone local to take a look. I'm able to ride quite a ways if anyone is interested.

Maybe I'll shoot muffinman a pm and see if he is intereted.

David :sick:

I could see the coil but couldnt figure out how to get to it and as for the tci connector, I don't have any idea what that is.

So either a trip to the dealor or find someone local to take a look. I'm able to ride quite a ways if anyone is interested.

Maybe I'll shoot muffinman a pm and see if he is intereted.

David :sick:

It was basically to check that the primary coil connection for the left front coil is making good contact (not needed to pull the coil at this point, just check the multi wire connector for good electrical contact). It is a tight fit going in that way, the alternative is pulling all of the left fairing off. The tci connectors sit directly under the battery box (tci is mounted to the underside of the coil mounting tray & is a PITA to pull out).

Muffinman is good at working on these bikes.

I had same type issue with my 88 and it was the tci however the connections to the tci could be bad and give you same symptoms. I took my tci out by taking right lower faring off and rad grill (my cylinder covers are out also) and reached above front two cylinders and unplugged both connectors and 2 phillips screws and it was out. I found this way to take out tci easier, worth a look anyway you can unplug and clean connections with out removing a lot. by the way DonB member here repairs tci boxes he is in canada and I need to send him 2 to fix.