IGNORED

On the way to work....

Riding into work today, my '88 Venture Royale suddenly lost it's tachometer reading, mostly. It comes on occasionally. At the same time, the engine kind of lost control of it's speed, at least it would rev up and down with the throttle held at the same place. Made it very scary to corner, not knowing it would keep a steady speed.

Any ideas on what is wrong? The cruise was off. The charging system is OK. There's gas in it - not full, but should be enough, so it shouldn't be surging the gas tank, though it felt a little like other bikes have when the fuel is about to cut out. Fuel Pump? Some kind of ignition problem? I'm not sure it's safe to ride home, even though it's only a few miles. Does the tachometer get it's signal from some component that controls fuel or spark?

:Sad_0241:

Becky

Was the tach the only thing affected? Did it drop all the way to 0 and not move. Had a fuse blow on mine and the tack, Volt meter etc. went down. Might check and see if you lost a fuse and or if the fuses are making good connection with the fuse block.

Riding into work today, my '88 Venture Royale suddenly lost it's tachometer reading, mostly. It comes on occasionally. At the same time, the engine kind of lost control of it's speed, at least it would rev up and down with the throttle held at the same place. Made it very scary to corner, not knowing it would keep a steady speed.

Any ideas on what is wrong? The cruise was off. The charging system is OK. There's gas in it - not full, but should be enough, so it shouldn't be surging the gas tank, though it felt a little like other bikes have when the fuel is about to cut out. Fuel Pump? Some kind of ignition problem? I'm not sure it's safe to ride home, even though it's only a few miles. Does the tachometer get it's signal from some component that controls fuel or spark?

:Sad_0241:

Becky

Sounds like the ignition coil for #2 cylinder is cutting out (tach reads from that one). Probably a loose connection, on the input wiring to the coil, or possibly the TCI connections.

These will run on 3 cylinders, not great (lacks power) & goes though more fuel, but you can ride it home. I have ridden a few hundred miles that way before.

:2cents:

Was the tach the only thing affected? Did it drop all the way to 0 and not move. Had a fuse blow on mine and the tack, Volt meter etc. went down. Might check and see if you lost a fuse and or if the fuses are making good connection with the fuse block.

Thanks for the quick reply, gibvel!

The tach dropped all the way to zero, but moved occasionally. Volt meter reads OK, all other electrical (radio, lights, etc) seemed OK too.

-Becky

Sounds like the ignition coil for #2 cylinder is cutting out (tach reads from that one). Probably a loose connection, on the input wiring to the coil, or possibly the TCI connections.

These will run on 3 cylinders, not great (lacks power) & goes though more fuel, but you can ride it home. I have ridden a few hundred miles that way before.

:2cents:

Rocket - that makes a lot of sense - the power "surging" probably comes from the cylinder occasionally cutting in. Got my tool kit and electrical meter with me on the bike, any chance I can check/tighten the connections without it being a big project?

Otherwise I can at least limp home. Both bikes are now down - Venture with this problem, and my Virago 750 just lost it's stator, so my club ride this weekend looks iffy.

Thanks for your quick response - this forum is fantastic and you folks are

:337::337:

-Becky

Got my tool kit and electrical meter with me on the bike, any chance I can check/tighten the connections without it being a big project?

-Becky

It is a tight fit for the hands, but the battery & battery box needs to be pulled out,. to access them. So better do it at home, it is the left front one (as per normal riding position).