IGNORED

Confused on fuel tank volume on 05 RSV

Well since I got my 05 RSV I hit reserve and then fuel up and can not get more than 4 to 4 1/2 gal in it?

The specs say >

Fuel Capacity (gal/l) 6 / 23 Fuel Capacity Reserve (gal/l) 1 / 3.5

If the specs are right then why do I run out & need reserve at 4 gal?

The fuel light comes on in 1 to 2 miles after turning to reserve.

Do I really have 2 gal left? When I fill the tank I will sit on bike and hold it up right and wiggle the bike and fill it as full as I can get and still after 4 to 4 1/4 gal I am hitting reserve again.

Any suggestions?

you will have about 1.5 gallons in reserve. I completely run out of gas 45 miles after reserve hits, give er take. I strapped a gallon of gas on the trunk rack and just ran the thing out 1 day.

You can also increase the capacity of the tank by venting the neck of the filler. I put a couple of small holes in the filler neck and gained about a half gallon of capacity.

you will have about 1.5 gallons in reserve. I completely run out of gas 45 miles after reserve hits, give er take. I strapped a gallon of gas on the trunk rack and just ran the thing out 1 day.

You can also increase the capacity of the tank by venting the neck of the filler. I put a couple of small holes in the filler neck and gained about a half gallon of capacity.

Thanks FLB 78 I may try the gal on the back trick I should probbly find out when I do run out. LOL Could come in handy some time!

Well I filled it as full as I could get it and took it out & ran 1 up 198 miles. Started to sputter flipped to reserve "figuring I had about 50 miles left" ran another 40 miles stopped for gas put in as much as I could and put in 4.92 gal = 48.37 mpg that's about 50% 2 lane at 60 mph & 50% 4 lane at 70 mph.... Like the mpg I am getting just chicken to run it all the way out. But even then I should still have about a gallon left if the specs are right?

Paid $2.68 a gal for the fuel YIPPEE!!!! Gee never thought I would be happy with gas close to $3.00 a gal but after months above $3 it feels good. LOL

WHAT A GREAT DAY TO RIDE IN IOWA!!

I wish I got that much mileage out of my 99 rsv.

However, I've never put in more that 5.5 gallons. My tank fuel valve is always in the reserve position. I got tired of turning it to reserve at 70mph on the highway when the engine sputtered. Also, my low fuel warning lights never come on. I've never seen the low fuel trip meter either. I have no clue if they work or if I never get the fuel level low enough.

If you do run out remember there may be some in the right side of the tank still. If you need to make it a little farther try to slosh some to the left.

Jerry

I went around a long curve to the right and the low fuel dummy light came on, when I was straight up again it went out. Never thought about any gas staying over there,,,good thought!

Thanks

Bryan