After not riding for 25 years I purchased another Royale. Having to do some work on it to get things back to where i'd like them. Here's one.

After replacing the speakers I discovered the cassette deck still works fine. It just needs a little nudge in FF to get it to play. I would like to find the cover that goes over it if someone has it.

The radio took a little more work, after cleaning the contacts I now have a radio that works without having to hit it. I do still have some minor issues; I am getting static from the speakers with the bike in gear from idle up to about 2500RPM (not sure since it is hard to tell when driving). Also get feedback from the speakers when I turn on the ignition switch, it's like the hissing you used to get when a (tv)station went of the air but much softer. Any suggestions?

I took the two button remote apart to see what I could see. It now works as well. One minor problem, I had three springs roll out of it; two to hold the metal balls for the contacts and one slightly longer, thinner one. No clue where that fits, but no biggie since the remote works. Just curious!

Lastly, since I cleaned the contacts and got the radio to work it seems that i've had more E4 errors. Coincidence or are they connected some way.

• 3 weeks later...

My bike's at the shop since I drove the truck home so I can't measure, but I would wager that compared to the OEM radio/cassette (and amp) it is considerably smaller and you can pull the amp.

Having gone through all the1st gen tech talk pages, It just seemed there are a lot of folks with radio problems looking for an alternative. This being weatherproof and smaller then a car stereo, might be a viable alternative for some folks.

Just my 2 nickels!