IGNORED

Anyone using MP3 cable in-place of Cassette?

Hey all. I ran into a problem late last night that confused me and I was wondering if anyone has come across the same problem and possibly found a fix.

Mother, one of our fine Canadian friends, has provided me with a cable that plugs into the DIN connector in place of the Cassette deck. It has a switch that toggles back and forth from AM/FM to the cable, and an 3.5mm headphone jack.

I hooked mine up late last night. Got GREAT audio quality from my Garmin. But when I flipped the switch back to AM/FM I only got audio on one speaker (right) and it was very very quiet. I had to turn volume up all the way and even then was only moderate for a quiet garage. Should have been blazing loud! ??

I did notice that when I unplugged the Garmin's 3.5mm headphone cable, the audio volume from AM/FM doubled but was still quieter than what it should be.

Any one have any thoughts?? Really don't want to stick the Cassette deck back in..

I'm using the MP3 input in place of the cassette and haven't noticed this problem.

When you have the Nav unit plugged in, do you notice sound from both channels?

Based on signal strength from the radio stations and in 3.5mm port, I could imagine that there would be a difference in the input side requiring you to turn up the volume on your IPOD etc., but to lose a channel is unexepected.

If you check your NOV unit and don't have sound from both channels, I would double check your cable and make sure a wire or connection hasn't broken or come loose. If the connections are good, I would also check it against the wiring diagram (I've more than once connected thing up how the male connector should be rather how the female connector should be) It a very easy mistake, unlikely, but easy.

Dave

When you have the Nav unit plugged in, do you notice sound from both channels?

It was late and I was tired, I'll have to double check when i get home tonight. But I'm fairly certain I was getting stereo from the GPS/ 3.5mm jack.

Based on signal strength from the radio stations and in 3.5mm port, I could imagine that there would be a difference in the input side requiring you to turn up the volume on your IPOD etc., but to lose a channel is unexepected.

Yes, and I have an amplifier for the GPS if needed. But its the AM/FM radio that super quiet.

If you check your NOV unit and don't have sound from both channels, I would double check your cable and make sure a wire or connection hasn't broken or come loose. If the connections are good, I would also check it against the wiring diagram (I've more than once connected thing up how the male connector should be rather how the female connector should be) It a very easy mistake, unlikely, but easy.

Dave

I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Also see if I hook the Cassette player back up if the loss of left channel doesn't go away.

Thanks Dave