IGNORED

Calling for the resident Oil expert

Sunman

I know there is one here somewhere. There is one on every forum! I have a strange request for some information. Now, this is not designed to start an oil debate, we all know how those can go. But I do need to find out, if Quaker State, or Pennzoil, have any oils that are compatible with the RSTD. What I mean is anything non-energy conserving, and without friction modifiers. Why specifically QS or Pennzoil? Well, a good friend of mine recently aquired a great job with the company, and can get me FREE OIL!! Whoo Hooo! Problem is, everything I see on the shelf from them, is SJ, or CF which means no good for me and the bike. Anyone here use either? I just need the item name or something to give to him, so he can have someone toss a case in his trunk for me. Thanks for any help.

Sonny

Edited by Sunman
spelling error

Used to carry Pennzoil at the crane company. They have 3 oils that you might consider.

1. A 10w-40 motorcycle specific oil

2. A conventional 15w-40 diesel engine oil

3. A racing oil at 25w-50

A lot will depend on ambient temperatures. I run Mobil 1 15w-50 here in Texas until after October. Then I change to a 10w-40 until May. Just my method. In the northern states I used 15w-40. I can tell you that the 25w-50 will feel a bit thick below 50 degress F. I get about a 200 rpm increase from cold start to normal operating temps with the 15w-50. Since the cost of the oil is not an object here, I might lean towards the 10w-40 motorcycle specific oil. Next choice would be the 15w-40 diesel oil. In the summer months, the 25w-50 would be fine. Especially if you are running towards warm places.The old straight weight Pennzoils were popular for the Harley crowd. And I knew a lot of folks running the 25w-50 racing oil.

JB

The SJ and the CF have nothing to do with why you can or cannot run the oil.

Look on the back and check the "starburst" to see if it says energy conserving.

If it doesn't say "energy conserving" then you'll be fine using it in a wet clutch system.

For the record, most 10w30 and lower oils will be energy conserving.

I personally use either Chevron Delo 400 15w40 or Shell Rotella T 15w40.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/dddouble/Misc/API_donut.gif

Sunman I know it is harder to find the oils up here that most recomend, and if you do you will pay big for it.

Personally I use a 20W-50 all the time in my bikes, but do not run in weather that is real cold and the bike is garage stored ad it is warm in there.

PS No expert either

Brad