IGNORED

Not Bike Related At All But Fun Anyway

nelsonrl

Well some of you know that my wife and I spent a bit of time getting our scuba open water certifications. The classes were fun, but a lot of work. we completed our open water (meaning we can dive up to 130 feet deep) about 3 weeks ago.

We went on our first real dives week before last on vacation. What a thrill. We took 4 dives from a boat and one shore dive over a three day period. The fish and coral we saw were amazing - sea turtles, moray eels, zebra eels, star fish, sharks, and more fish than I could name. One of the real thrills was petting and holding an octopus. The dive master signaled for us to sit still a minute and he swam away about 15 feet and came back with an octopus with a head about the size of a dinner plate. Got to hold it. Absolutely amazing.

It was incredible being 90 feet below the surface and able to see 200 feet away with perfect clarity. I cannot wait to get underwater again!

That sounds fun but I dont know if I could do that! By the way are you going to be at the Texas Stampede get together being you are so close? Debby and I are going but probably will do limited riding,just socializing. Tom

Glad you discovered the sport. It is a great experience. I took my first dive class in 1964. They didn't really have certifications then, just complete the course and go dive. Got my wife interested a few years back, and now she has her Master Diver cert along with me. Underwater is a whole new world, and each dive is different. To try something really unusual, do a night dive. All you can see is what your light is shining on, but the underwater world goes through a transformation when it gets dark. Some fish actually cacoon up and go to sleep, others come out to feed. Fascinating. Here's to many more memorial dives for you.

That sounds fun but I dont know if I could do that! By the way are you going to be at the Texas Stampede get together being you are so close? Debby and I are going but probably will do limited riding,just socializing. Tom

If my wife can do it anyone can - she was not even a strong swimmer when we started - and this was her idea. I had suggested it about 10 years ago and she said "go for it, but not me". This time it was her idea.

I am not planning to go to Texas Stampede. Just not much of a crowd person. Like small groups much better.

Yea, I want to try night dives, but need a couple of more day trips to be sure I am REALLY comfortable, but I am looking forward to one.

Once you do get a little experience, consider a dive trip to the Texas Flower Gardens. It is the northern most Caribbean reef in the world, and is located about 100 miles south of Freeport.

Here is the web site: http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/

There are a couple of charter operators that make trips out there, from a couple of days to a week. One of the best known is: http://www.gulf-diving.com

Just be aware this is usually not a "resort" dive. Sometimes conditions can be challenging. But because the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank are a National Marine Sanctuary, you will be impressed but the size and quantity of fish and coral. Whale sharks and Manta Rays have been seen there. Definitely worth the trip. I suggest you put it on your to-do list.

Congrats on getting your cert. It's a whole new world waiting to be explored. I'm surprised you didn't have to do a night dive as part of your certification. The dive shop I went to made it a requirement, actually it's 2 night dives with one being a navigation dive with only a small light to see your compass.