IGNORED

XM or Sirius

dlhoulton

Looking to get a Satellite radio for my RSV. Have heard that one is taking over the other but don't know which. My question is what is a good receiver for a motorcycle? Which receiver has the best secure docking station for bikes? Currently have XM on my truck but don't know if after the "takeover" which will and will not work!!! I'm showing how little I know about this subject so be kind in all replies.

i have sirius. they make a station for bikes that fits certain models of recievers. i ran the output jack into the radio with a splitter under the fairing that hooks to the plug in next to the tape player. the only problem is the antenna seems to be very week that comes with the station. sirius doesnt support or warranty it. another company does it. a friend of mine has xm, i dont like it as much. the so called classic rock turns to pop at times. the station is real cheep compared to what others such as j&m offer. the antenna was replaced under warr. three months after installation. it looses reception around trees that over hang the road. i wouldnt ride with out it in certain areas, it is very nice. check out sirius.com and look under accessories, they list the bike station there. the station wasnt for my unit but i got it to fit no problem. here is a link to the install kit.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=2443221&catParentID=7872&scId=7872&oldParentID=7872

Well I have XM on the bike now and lately its been terrible for getting signal. I also have Sirius in my truck and it seems to work fine,and I am thinking to switch to Sirius on the bike also. You can also get a lifetime membership with Sirius I paid 299.00 for it. I think its better then having a monthly bill. Although you can pay yearly. You can also get other docking stations and use in other vehicle's and the home.

Good luck, just my 2 cents.

Joe

I have sirius but am not renewing it. Going strictly with an MP3 player. Both Sirius and XM replay the same songs over and over in my opinion (I've had both brands) Let alone their talking more and more. I bought mine for music not to hear some announcer flapping his jibs between every third and fourth song. You can get an MP3 player with handlebar bracket for a very reasonable price and you won't have the monthly charge. Also with an MP3 player you don't have fade out when under trees, bridges etc... I believe you can hook right up to a Ventures stereo jack if I'm not mistaken ( I have an RSTD so don't have the goodies ventures do):2cents: Hope this helps. Ride safe and God Bless. Mike

Well I have XM on the bike now and lately its been terrible for getting signal. I also have Sirius in my truck and it seems to work fine,and I am thinking to switch to Sirius on the bike also. You can also get a lifetime membership with Sirius I paid 299.00 for it. I think its better then having a monthly bill. Although you can pay yearly. You can also get other docking stations and use in other vehicle's and the home.

Good luck, just my 2 cents.

Joe

299!!!!!, from what I can see that covers about 43 years. I doubt I'll need it where I'll be in that time!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Actually at $12.95 a month $299.00 would pay for it's self in less than 3 years. Problem is most of the sirius and XM radios die within that time and then they sock you for another $50.00 to transfer that lifetime to another radio and you can only do that a few times before they tell you no. your lifetime subscription is up. I'm on my 5th sirius radio and the one in the wifes car just dies as well. which stinks because the news ones have a useless FM transmitter in them while her's would transmit to cars 200 feet away. I have one for my truck and bike that looks like a radar detector. fits nice on the dash with a bit of velcro and swaps between the two without effort.

Just gotta remember to remove it when I park the bike so it does not walk away.

I have sirius and like it best for the content. NFL, Nascar, Howard Stern, etc...

The music and news / talk stations are pretty much equal.

xm does have MLB and Oprah. Also, most of my friends have XM and their receivers seem to hold up better than sirius radios. If I were buying xm I would pick up a roady xt. Two of my friends have them and i like them a lot.

As for the merger the plan as it stands is that your current equipment will continue to work and each company will offer a bonus package of stations for about $4. Sometime late this year or early next year they are supposed to release new equipment that will allow alacarte programming. I am waiting for that before I buy again.

Hope this helps

Looking to get a Satellite radio for my RSV. Have heard that one is taking over the other but don't know which. My question is what is a good receiver for a motorcycle? Which receiver has the best secure docking station for bikes? Currently have XM on my truck but don't know if after the "takeover" which will and will not work!!! I'm showing how little I know about this subject so be kind in all replies.

From wiki:

On February 19, 2007, Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio announced a merger that would combine the two radio services and create a single satellite radio network in the United States. The merger would bring both companies a total of more than 18.5 million subscribers based on current subscriber numbers on the date of merging. It was completed July 29, 2008.:2cents:

Both will work for now and the selections of programing will be the same shortly but Sirius will be the parent co and all the equiptment will eventually go toward the sirius side. Stands to reason my guess is for a while they will support both networks but all new units will be of the sirius technology as the satallites are not the same. As the older XM units are replaced or wear out they will be replaced by sirius and eventually those few left with XM will have the units replaced at a deal or for free as it wont make sense to keep up maintainance on two sets of sateliltes. Look for it all to go to Sirius as it has got better hardware.For the time being it makes no difference which you get.