IGNORED

Need help with AMPS pull question

Guest tx2sturgis

Would suck to be on the side of the road with horn blaring and bike on fire.

VentureFar....safely

Please do us a favor if this happens. After dialing 911, pull out your camera and get some video!

:happy34:

Another possibility is that when you were testing the compressor and horn with the bike not running (12volts or less), or maybe only idling (about 12 volts), the current was a bit under 20 amps...and when riding, the charging system is up to full voltage (13.5 or thereabouts)and the supplied current went over 20 amps and popped the fuse.

If you dont find any shorts or massive currents being drawn, and it turns out to be about 25 amps, your stock battery will handle this for very brief periods...after all, it can supply 100 amps for starting!

But it COULD weaken the stator and/or regulator with frequent use. But really, who blasts a motorcycle horn more than a few times a week?

:think:

Please do us a favor if this happens. After dialing 911, pull out your camera and get some video!

:happy34:

Another possibility is that when you were testing the compressor and horn with the bike not running (12volts or less), or maybe only idling (about 12 volts), the current was a bit under 20 amps...and when riding, the charging system is up to full voltage (13.5 or thereabouts)and the supplied current went over 20 amps and popped the fuse.

If you dont find any shorts or massive currents being drawn, and it turns out to be about 25 amps, your stock battery will handle this for very brief periods...after all, it can supply 100 amps for starting!

But it COULD weaken the stator and/or regulator with frequent use. But really, who blasts a motorcycle horn more than a few times a week?

:think:

Believe me one has to be serious about alerting 1/4 mile in all directions when you hit this horn button.

It has to be reserved for the real problem cagers, not for alerting the wife that you are parked "over here" in the shade.

It's crazy loud.

VentureFar...

Well, I can not determine a specific polarity from the pic. It may be that it does not matter.

If you pulled a brush, and find that it rides 90deg to armature, direction would not matter. If you find that a brush rides at an angle to the armature, then there would be a preferred rotation direction

You could also power the compressor in both directions, and verify the same air output in each direction. If you find a difference the higher output direction would be correct.

Guest tx2sturgis
No worries. I tested and the fuse didn't blow.

Registered 30 amps on the meter.

All safe on that.

VentureFar...

If the amperage is 30 amps then that explains it.

You could check the current draw with the engine off, then with it reved up to about 3000 rpm...I bet you will a difference.

20 amp fuses dont blow at exactly 20 amps...they have some leeway for a short overage...and maybe it was good for short bursts of say, about 28 amps...but blew at 30 amps pretty fast. Also, the peak starting current for the compressor might be way over 30 amps.

If you have heavy gauge wire feeding the compressor thru the relay, and the relay is rated at 30 amps or more, then you may be able to stay just under the limit with a 30 amp fuse.

When riding at speed and you tap the horn how high does your voltage hit after the 30 amp load disappears...you might be spiking the voltage to the bike until the voltage regulator catches it.

Didn't check that but I can next ride.

I will advise next ride which will probably be this weekend

VentureFar...

Confirmed info.

Relay is 30 amp relay.

Power and ground are all 14awg.

Fuse is now 30amp.

I know I hit the horn button for max 2 seconds.

If a deaf caged doesn't hear it on the first blast then s/he won't hear it longer either.

Yes 10/12 awg would be nice but is it really necessary?

I know that I will change the wires out eventually but I don't see the need to do it before the next ride, for a two second burst.

Do you?

Thanks all for your expertise.

VentureFar...

Power and ground are all 14awg.

Yes 10/12 awg would be nice but is it really necessary?

VentureFar...

Max rating for 14AWG is 32 amps. Not much leeway for surges, and routing, and sharp bends of the wire could effect its cooling ability, but yes- for intermittent duty, this wire should be fine.