IGNORED

I lowered the noise level of my bike :)

I replaced the factory installed BrickStone tires at 6,500 miles as the rear was getting worn out.

So, while I had the rear tire off, I decided to pull the drive-shaft and grease the splines with Honda Moly 60 grease.

I also greased the splines and the fingers that are on what the service manual calls the "Clutch hub." (Item 7 on page 7-13 of the service manual)

Of course I cleaned off the factory installed grease before applying the Moly 60.

I have seen Scheaffer gear oil #209 and 209A have Moly in them, but I cant find any locally so I also changed the rear end gear lube with some Amsoil Synthetic gear oil I had. I put some Moly 60 in the rear end. About 1/4 teaspoon full to add some Molybdenum Disulphide to the rear-end as those gears take quite a bit of shock load when shifting gears.

I did NOT change the engine/clutch/transmission oil, so I don't think the noise reduction came from that area.

Too bad the engine and transmission share oil with the clutch..... I would like to put Molybdenum Disulphide in them too but it would probably ruin the clutch...................

OH I used an Acid Brush from the plumbing department of the hardware store to apply the grease. I cut the brissles off to only about 3/8" long so they would be stiff.

I applied the grease in a light coat. I wish I could easly get at the universal joint at the front end of the drive shaft, so I could use the Moly 60 on it.

It looks lite the middle gear is lubricated by the engine/clutch/transmission oil, so I cant apply Moly 60 to it :95:

BTW I was shocked when I opened the tube of Moly60 to see it was only half full from the factory.

Then I read the label, it is labeled as containing 3 Oz but it is in 6 Oz size tube..... but 3 Oz will probably last me a LIFETIME..... but it cost about $12 at the Honda dealership AND they had to special order it, so I ASSUME their service department does not use this grease.............. NEWS FLASH: you might want to get it from a HONDA Car dealership. It MSRP is only $9.56 or some online sites sell it for $7.48. I take the online price to the dealership and get a price match or a Military discount.... it is part number 08734-0001

BTW wear disposable gloves or rub your hands with shaving cream before you use the Moly60 grease. This stuff STAINS EVERYTHING it touches!!!!!!! DONT let it get on any painted surface!!!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

So how big a deal is it to actually pull the driveshaft? I want to do the same thing to my bike but have been hesitant to do so. I have had the rear wheel off several times, though, so that part doesn't bother me. Is there ant tips for taking the shaft out and putting it back in/

Thanks for any info.

So how big a deal is it to actually pull the driveshaft? I want to do the same thing to my bike but have been hesitant to do so. I have had the rear wheel off several times, though, so that part doesn't bother me. Is there ant tips for taking the shaft out and putting it back in/

Thanks for any info.

Check this thread, it can be a bit fiddlely trying get it back in the yoke but I managed ok.

Ian

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25506&highlight=drive+shaft

BTW I was shocked when I opened the tube of Moly60 to see it was only half full from the factory.

Then I read the label, it is labled as containing 3 Oz but it is in 6 Oz size tube..... but 3 Oz will probably last me a LIFETIME..... but it cost about $12 at the Honda dealership AND they had to special order it, so I ASSUME their service department does not use this grease..............

BTW wear disposable gloves or rub your hands with shaving cream before you use the Moly60 grease. This stuff STAINS EVERYTHING it touches!!!!!!! DONT let it get on any painted surface!!!!!!

This Moly60 you refer to, it's from Honda? Is this the stuff a lot of people refer to that lubes very well and helps reducing some of the whining noise from the bike?

I'll be pulling the rear off the bike this winter to grease everything up for the next season, might as well do it up proper.. What's the prefer rear gear oil?

Cheers

This Moly60 you refer to, it's from Honda?

Yes, it the package looks like this:

http://www.hondapartsworld.com/ProductImages/hondaoem/chemicals/08734-0001large.jpg

Is this the stuff a lot of people refer to that lubes very well and helps reducing some of the whining noise from the bike?

Yes!!!! it is GREAT stuff!!! a good write up is HERE

I'll be pulling the rear off the bike this winter to grease everything up for the next season, might as well do it up proper..

I agree!!! Every time I have the rear wheel off, I will lube all the splines and fingers.

What's the prefer rear gear oil?

I would say a low foaming oil with Moly, like Scheaffer #167 (but it's smallest package is a 38 lb pail....), or another synthetic oil and you can add a little bit of moly paste.... a very little bit, like 1/2 teaspoon or less.... There are probably other synthetic gear lubes with moly on the market. BUT I would probably not use a GL4 lube. Get a GL5 or GL6 lube (both are acceptable as per the owners manual page 7-16) due to their higher anti scuffing agent content.

Edited by KiteSquid

I would say a low foaming oil with Moly, like Scheaffer #167 (but it's smallest package is a 38 lb pail....), or another synthetic oil and you can add a little bit of moly paste.... a very little bit, like 1/2 teaspoon or less.... There are probally other synthetic gear lubes with moly on the market.

I'm sorry.. are you suggesting of putting a small amount of moly grease in the oil itself?!

I've never heard of this before.. Either Seafoam or Amsoil synthetic oils are as exotic as I've seen or heard of for the purpose..

You'll have to tell me more about this combo.. (not calling you out on it, just never heard of it before)..

Cheers

I'm sorry.. are you suggesting of putting a small amount of moly grease in the oil itself?!

In the rear gear lube only, NOT IN THE ENGINE OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard of this before.. Either Seafoam or Amsoil synthetic oils are as exotic as I've seen or heard of for the purpose..

You'll have to tell me more about this combo.. (not calling you out on it, just never heard of it before)..

Cheers

Go read about Molybdenum disulfide at Wikipedia at THIS link.

The mining industry uses Moly fortified gear lubes to decrease operating costs....

I used Moly pastes in some of the equipment I worked on while in the US Navy.

One of the issues with gear oils is the EPA has made them remove the Zinc from it, so the oils don't guard as well for shock loads..... like up and down shifting your bike.... so put a little Moly in your favorite gear lube in the rear end NEVER IN THE MOTOR OIL WITH A WET CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!! and your gears will quite down and last longer!!!!!!!!

BTW, Schaeffer makes a 80W-90 synthetic blend gear lube with Moly. #293

I have not found a full synthetic 80W-90 gear lube with moly, but I have not searched hard yet. also most formulas are proprietary, so they don't want to say moly on the label.

I have found MANY dino and Synthetic blend oils with moly.

Hey Whozleft,

When the yamaha factory rep looked at my bike the last time I had trouble with the rear end he recommended honda moly 60 grease. He said he uses it for his personal use and it is the best he has found. He sent the service manager at the yamaha dealership to the honda dealership to get their moly 60 to grease the rear end of my bike.

In the rear gear lube only, NOT IN THE ENGINE OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go read about Molybdenum disulfide at Wikipedia at THIS link.

The mining industry uses Moly fortified gear lubes to decrease operating costs....

I used Moly pastes in some of the equipment I worked on while in the US Navy.

One of the issues with gear oils is the EPA has made them remove the Zinc from it, so the oils don't guard as well for shock loads..... like up and down shifting your bike.... so put a little Moly in your favorite gear lube in the rear end NEVER IN THE MOTOR OIL WITH A WET CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!! and your gears will quite down and last longer!!!!!!!!

BTW, Schaeffer makes a 80W-90 synthetic blend gear lube with Moly. #293

I have not found a full synthetic 80W-90 gear lube with moly, but I have not searched hard yet. also most formulas are proprietary, so they don't want to say moly on the label.

I have found MANY dino and Synthetic blend oils with moly.

Understood about NOT doing this to the engine oil..

But you're recommending adding Honda Moly60 to the rear diff oil? Mixing it together, is this correct?

(I just want to make sure I have the language down right and not make a mistake).

If this is what you've recommended, how do you mix the Moly60 paste to the oil then?

I'm visualizing someone taking a 1/2 teaspoon gob of Honda Moly60 and pushing it down the filler hole of his rear diff filler hole, and then adding the right amount of oil in afterwards, spinning the rear wheel to mix the whole works up.. and that's it?

Again, I'm not disputing your suggestions or information, just asking to be clear..

Cheers

Understood about NOT doing this to the engine oil..

GOOD!!!!!! that much Moly will ruin a clutch in a short order. I am repeating this so that anybody else reading this will NOT put moly in the engine of their RSV!!!!!!!

But you're recommending adding Honda Moly60 to the rear diff oil? Mixing it together, is this correct?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually I am not recommending it, I am stating what I did. If you do this you are doing so at your own risk.....yadda, yadda, yadda......

(I just want to make sure I have the language down right and not make a mistake).

Good!!!! I don't want any misunderstandings of what I did on my bike.

If this is what you've recommended, how do you mix the Moly60 paste to the oil then?

I'm visualizing someone taking a 1/2 teaspoon gob of Honda Moly60 and pushing it down the filler hole of his rear diff filler hole, and then adding the right amount of oil in afterwards, spinning the rear wheel to mix the whole works up.. and that's it?

Yes I put some moly60 in the rear end to be mixed with the gear lube. you only need about 1-2% moly to gear lube by weight. I probably have 5% or so... I did not accurately measure it. the shade tree mechanic in me... Kinda like killing a fly with a shotgun.....

Sense I had the rear end off the bike, I just painted the ring gear with the short bristle brush I mentioned above thru the speedometer sensor port. The first trip down the road and the gears did all the mixing/spreading of the moly. easy!!!

Again, I'm not disputing your suggestions or information, just asking to be clear..

BTW Molybdenum Disulphide is not kind to copper, so DO NOT use this technique in any rear end with a limited slip or any clutch type application as it will react with the copper and eat it away......

Good luck and let us know if it quieted your bike down any.

I bet your driveshaft splines last longer too!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Pull your rear diff. off and check splines on the drive shaft. The outside of the splines should be flat not sharp. If they are sharp replace the shaft, moly lube, follow directions to make sure rear diff. is installed correctly. I had the whine like a nascar under yellow. Got to the point I took it to my dealer and told him to keep it till they fixed it. The lead mech. has been working on ventures since day one, got it back three days later, no noise of anykind since. I had the spline issue, the chirp,and drive shaft, I won't tell you it's as quiet as my wing was but I don't run the radio hardly at all. I would rather listen to the Khromewerk's pipes, and yes they were on when it whined.