IGNORED

Gear shaft from stator cover removal

Hi guys. I have a 1983 venture royale. I have all the bolts taken off the stator cover, but there is the gear shaft and its linkage that's stopping me from pulling the stator cover off. Two questions. How do you remove the gear shaft from back linkage/stator cover entirely? How can you just slide the stator off the bike leaving the gear shaft put? Please help. Thanks. (1st timer, I'm 27 w a 30+ year old bike.)

Hmmmm, been a while, but from what I remember you loosen the locking pinch bolt on the knurled coupling and slide it off the shaft. Just remember exactly how it is oriented before you remove it, you CAN put it on upside down very easily and it reverses how the shifter works!! Turns it into one down, four up going up in gears, etc...

I did that which I believe you're talking about the shift pedal footrest, but it seems like the gear shaft that goes through the stator is connected to the other side of the shift linkage. I just don't want to pull too hard and break that shift linkage or damage the gear shaft.

OH!! OK, no, there is just a locating pin on the cover that will make it seem like there is still something holding it, that and the magnetic attraction from the rotor and stator!!

May I ask why you are removing the cover?? Checking for the presence of the stator oiling kit, or you are certain your stator is bad??

So I literally just pull it off hard and don't worry about the back shift linkage the gear shaft is placed in/connected to?? Plug connection to the rectifier is fried. I believe it fried because PO had a 42s Mr gasket fuel pump wired incorrectly through the stator and rectifier connections.

Edited by Nate

Looks like you got the shifter off alright. Just make sure EVERY bolt is out of the cover. Once that is done you simply have the pull the cover off using equal pressure to take it straight off. There are two pins that align the cover to the body.

Now once you begin to get a 1/4 inch or so off you will feel the pull of the magnets on the stator. It's pretty strong pull. so keep the cover coming off straight and it will release once you get past the pull of the magnets. Watch your fingers. It can bite.

The only thing you might be fighting is if the PO used a sealant like Permatex on the cover and gaskets. That stuff can bake on like glue.

That shift shaft sticking through the cover stays put. It won't fall out.