IGNORED

starter not working after puttin on crank cover!

Guest thunderbearr

Guest thunderbearr

Hello, Help, Hi!

I have a 86 Venture Royale that has a heel toe shifter. It broke off of the crankcase cover. I took the crankcase cover off and had it welded and beefed up. After being careful to put all the gears right from the starter to the 'flywheel', I closed it up. I was pretty proud of myself until I tried the starter. A miniature whine almost inaudible. I tried to think of what would be wrong and charged up the battery thinking that maybe I was too low on juice.

Put battery back in and tried again. Nothing.

Reluctantly, I took it apart again, thinking that perhaps I had the gears binding. I made sure that the starter was free and working before I put the next sprocket/gear on to connect the started to the flywheel. I even made sure that the flywheel would turn. I was VERY careful to put the cover on gently and tightened it up. I took a deep breath and hit the starter. It clicked. Not whined, but clicked. Thinking that perhaps the lead to the starter was bad, I used a jumper cable to go from the battery to the starter. Good sparks, but nothing else.

Now I need help! Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

I need to fix as soon as possible because I moved two weeks ago and it is still in the other parking lot.

I thought I was good at mechanics, until I have been working on this bike. Even though I am not a guru, I am good at learning, which I am doing a lot of!

One great thing on this site is the folks here are not the 'take it to the dealer to fix it' type. I appreciate your advice!

lon, did you replace the gaskets, with yamaha oem's, or did you "make your own".

sounds like a clearance/tolerance problem to me.

what kind of BEEFING UP", did you have done. might have overdone it.

there isn't a lot of FREE space. inside that cover,could be binding on your shifter repair.

maybe not.

just jt

If the starter will spin with the cover off, it sounds like you may have the starter dragging on the cover when you torque it down.

Try backing out the bolts one turn at a time to see if you can get the starter to turn. If it turns with the side cover loose, that will tell you what the problem is.

Then you can either mill down the case, or try a thicker gasket.

:15_8_211[1]:

Guest thunderbearr

Thanks for the information! I pulled it off again and put a gasket with aviation sealer. Before I closed it up, I checked out the 'shaft' holding the middle gear. It was actually stiff. I took an emery cloth and sanded it lightly. When I slid the cog/gear back on, it went on tight but easier. I closed it up, put in oil and it started up so quickly that I was surprised! I wonder if for some reason the shaft has been dragging enough to make the starter work harder in the past.

Kudos to the three of you! I appreciate your help! I am now mobile again!