IGNORED

Painting Questions

BradT

I hate Painting and paints, as there seems to be so many different types of paints.

Curious what should be used on our bikes ? I know about Color Rite, has anyone used this paint to completely repaint their bike, and do you get that high shine to it ?

It was suggested a Base/Clear paint but that is seems very expensive. I also heard of Imron as a cheaper alternative, but was recomended to go with the Base/clear for the quality.

I was curious about using different types of paints. Any suggestions ? Also is there any tricks to get that high shine or is it just a good clear coat.

Brad

Hello Brad

Imron Is A Good Paint I Have Used It On Cars And Bikes There Is Also A Clear Coat You Can Put On It Also And Really Makes It Shine And Last. It Is Used On Airplanes Also And The Base Coat Clear Coat Is Also A Good System Dupont Croma Preaimer But Like You Said Not Cheap And If You Go With Acouple Of Extra Coats Of Clear It Looks Great Good Luck

Kevin

1999 Rsv

Jax Fl

Hi I repainted mine last winter and did base / clear and had a little over $600 in materials alone, but that was a 4 color paint job. Check out my photo gallery. But the newer eurothane based clear holds up so much better than the lacquer based products, its easy to sand and buff, wont yellow and is more durable. You could get away a lot cheaper in a single color or just a 2 tone. Do it once and do it right and you will never have to do it again.

Paul

Hey Brad,

Good paint and cheap prices are like oil and water, they don't go together. For all it would take to paint your bike a good base / clear is what I would use. Get a standard car colour and then you can match it up any time down the road. A litre of base would probably do a RSV at least twice.

Or just go down to your local tractor supply store and get some JD green or IH red or AC orange. That stuff is durable and cheap.... but remember just because you can paint a ceiling with a roller doesn't mean you can use one on your bike.

You can also use industrial acrylic urethanes I have painted several trucks and trailers with pithane ultra by Pittsburgh. A gallon of white with activator will run about $70 that would cover about 5 Rsv's. It is very durable and very glossy. the only draw back is they have a limited amount of colors they can mix it in.

Are you considering covering up that dark pink?:stirthepot::rotf::rotf:

Are you considering covering up that dark pink?:stirthepot::rotf::rotf:

Not Yet anyway. I like the Dark Pink. Maybe paint the whole thing that colour. :rotf:

.... but remember just because you can paint a ceiling with a roller doesn't mean you can use one on your bike.

I was not planning on doing the painting. Heard there was a guy near Detroit with a huge garage that does a great job.

Actually Naugh-T would like her bike painted so trying to figure out which way to go.

BRad