IGNORED

Friends Goldwing w/starter/engine problem

Venturous Randy

I have been trying to help a friend that has had a starter problem and up to now, it has been related to blowing the starter solenoid like the engine is locked up like hydrolock. This is a 96 1500.

Well, now it is worse. We pulled starter earlier and cleaned it and he just finished a 3,400 mile trip. He was at the Harley drags as part of CMA support and when he tried to start his bike it made a loud crunch and now the starter freewheels. I pulled the starter out and as you can see from the gears, it don't look so good.

Anybody have any suggestions?

This can be mover to the Goldwing section after it has been seen.

RandyA

Hate to say it but your Friend going to have to pull the motor and remove the back half and replace the reverse system or even worse the transmission as well. Some of the guys that had this problem replaced the whole motor and there are few out there for any where $450 to 900.00

Pinwall would be the best place to get one due to the fact they test them out really good! before selling them

Lets hope its just the idler gear and nothing else still have to remove the motor to do the repair est. cost doing it yourself 300.00 just a rough guess

Ilder gear works off the starter and most cases when the idler gear breaks its due to the motor hydrolocking and kicks back when that happens the idler will break

I have seen it take out the reverse system as well so that will be more $$