IGNORED

Owners manual mishap

irbk

So when I bought my bike from the dealership (2006 RSTD) it didn't have an owners manual. For my old Honda, the owners manual was a little book about 5" wide, 3" tall and about an inch thick. It fit on one of the side covers for the bike. This way if you were ever on the road and had a minor service issue, you could refer to the book. I never needed it, but like wearing an armored jacket and a helmet, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Anyway, I ordered the owners manual from Yamaha's site because I was expecting something about the same size that would slip right into one of the little pockets in the hard bags. I figured that it was worth the $$ to have the right sized manual that fit into the pocket (where I assumed the manual went) rather than print out the Owners Manual PDF that I could get for free online from Yamaha.

The Owners Manual showed up today and I'm a little disappointed. Rather than being the little small booklet that would slip right into the pocket, I've got a book that's 8.5" wide by 6" tall and not quite a quarter of an inch thick. It won't fit into what I thought was the "manual pocket" and now I'm kind of bummed that I spent $30 on it. :depressed:

According to the website they "print on demand" but if the original ones were missing things...

Oh that was one of the other reasons that I wanted the hard copy was the PDF seemed to have some incorrect information in it. Like the proper shifting points. If I remember correctly the PDF said something like the proper shifting points were from first to second @ 13 mph, from second to third @ 13 mph, from third to fourth @13 mph, etc.. However, thumbing through the manual that may have been downshift points and 16 mph. I also see that the fork PSI info in the manual matches the PDF. Nothing appears to be missing from the manual but it appears that I could have just printed the free PDF, ended up with the same basic thing, and saved myself $30. :(

According to the website they "print on demand" but if the original ones were missing things...

Oh that was one of the other reasons that I wanted the hard copy was the PDF seemed to have some incorrect information in it. Like the proper shifting points. If I remember correctly the PDF said something like the proper shifting points were from first to second @ 13 mph, from second to third @ 13 mph, from third to fourth @13 mph, etc.. However, thumbing through the manual that may have been downshift points and 16 mph. I also see that the fork PSI info in the manual matches the PDF. Nothing appears to be missing from the manual but it appears that I could have just printed the free PDF, ended up with the same basic thing, and saved myself $30. :(

Shifting any one of these Ventures to 2nd at anything under 25mph and it is going to not be up in the rpm range these motors are happy at.

These motors are really bullet proof, kryptonite don't even scare them.

Gary

I just put mine underneath the saddlebag's bottom foam pad in a ziplock bag.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. In the same bag with the insurance papers and such. That "hope I never have to go into it" zip-lock bag.