IGNORED

float adj on carbs

Guest kwisor

Guest kwisor

hello v7goose write up on carb floats only covers the measurment and not how to adj the float its self i had my carbs off but do not see how to adj the floats when i cruse at 60 the bikes acks like it needs gas but when i give it gas it will run fine as lone as i am acellerating i was told it maybe carbs flooding and floats need adj any help or what to do new fuel filter all lines clear

kevin

1999 rsv

Floats are adjusted by bending the tabs that contact the pin on the float needle. These pins get gunked up and stick be sure to check their operation if you are into the carbs that far anyway. Sticking pins usually results in overflows not starvation though unless they stick open make sure they operate freely. If you are using V7Goose procedure with the tubes from the drain to measure... leave them sit for at least 5 min to check for any changes. Any changes in the levels will indicate a problem with the needles, seats or the floats themselves. :080402gudl_prv: :sign16:

Guest kwisor

i am at a loss still not sure how to adj floats do you have to remove the floats to bend tab i do not see how to bend them i put it back togeather and still runs bad will run fine at low speed or when giving it the gas to go but at a steady speed runs bad give it gas it cleatrs up and gos also it i put choak on it ran better what do i nered to look at i can nmot afford to take to a mach

kevin

1999 rsv

i am at a loss still not sure how to adj floats do you have to remove the floats to bend tab i do not see how to bend them i put it back togeather and still runs bad will run fine at low speed or when giving it the gas to go but at a steady speed runs bad give it gas it cleatrs up and gos also it i put choak on it ran better what do i nered to look at i can nmot afford to take to a mach

kevin

1999 rsv

Just to let you know, it may not be the floats but if you do the manometer test with the tube like in V7 Goose procedure it will tell you if they need adjusted or not. If they do, once you have the float bowls off, remove the roll pin that holds the floats on, the tab is the flat metal piece that is in contact with the pin on the float needle. Carefully bend the tab with a pair of needlenose pliers. Remember to check those pins. And DON't lose the tiny spring clips! ( they are what holds the float needles in contact with the tabs) The best advice however is to check if this is even necessary. In all honesty sounds to me like your other carb adjustments are off or you have slider or diaphram problems or even a plugged jet or two. Have you used Yammer Dan's Seafoam Cure? The rule is rule out the obvious/easy stuff first then take the plunge if you have too. :2cents: :think:

also it i put choak on it ran better what do i nered to look at i can nmot afford to take to a mach

kevin

1999 rsv

If you have to add choke to make it run better, You either have partially plugged jets, an air leak, or possibly both.

Also check that your electric fuel pump is working.

RSTDdog

You do NOT remove the floats to adjust them. Simply lift them up with your finger and hold them up off the needle valve, then lightly push down on the metal tab to bend it. You must hold the float up to do this so that you do not mash down on the float needle valve.

If you bend it too far, then use the short end of a small allen wrench ("L" shaped) to slip under the tab and bend it back up a bit.

Remember to make the measurement with the carb held sideways (with the bowl mating face vertical) and the float resting lightly against the needle spring, but NOT depressing it. And do not forget that when you are adjusting the floats, you are working with the carbs upside down, so bending the tab towards the needle, which raises the float higher above the open carb face, is actually LOWERING the float level.

But no need to get too hung up on whether you are raising or lowering the float, just make sure the measurement is done correctly and is within the spec.

Goose