IGNORED

How much Data?

bkuhr

The following post from Freebird got me thinking. How can I determine how much data I currently use, to determine future options?

Yes, but I can do that with pretty much any phone. I know that Apple has more apps but I really don't use a lot of apps and have always been able to find what I want for my other phones. One thing that I don't like about the Iphone is that they force you to go through their app store to get what you want. There is one app that I use a lot on the Blackberry that Apple will not allow in their app store so the only way to get it is to jailbreak the phone and then install it.

That program is PDANet. It allows me to tether my Blackberry or an Android to my laptop to have an internet connection. Without it, you have to pay your carrier for that right. Verizon charges something like $20.00 extra per month if you want to tether a phone or turn on the "hotspot" feature of a phone. To me, that is a total ripoff. You are already paying for a data plan. Basically it is the same as if you were required by your ISP to pay extra money to use a docking station for your laptop at home. When I tether my Blackberry to my laptop, it's basically the same thing as if I were plugging my laptop into a larger monitor and external keyboard. I'm using the same amount of data as I would be otherwise, just utilizing a bigger screen and keyboard. Same thing with my phone. If I tether it, I'm using the same amount of data but just with a bigger screen and keyboard....but the cellular companies want too charge you extra for that feature.

For that reason alone, there is a very good chance that I will not replace the Blackberry with an Iphone for my other line. If I do, I will have to jailbreak it so that I can use it the way I need to. All because Apple controls what I apps I can and can't download.

I am possibility looking to change jobs, and the new employeer is asking me to be within 45 minutes distance, which would require moving. This weekend I looked at an interesting place, but severly lacking internet wise. ATT telco but no DSL, no CATV. Only saving grace is in sight of, and 5 bars of ATT 4G cell tower.

Currently 4 computers at home running on catv 6meg service. Never download movie or music, but sometimes large document files. Lot of ebay and VR.org:).

What would be options for home based cell internet? How can I now figure typical data use at current home? Any other suggestions-I know find different house.

Guest tx2sturgis

If you are home most all the time and just download a few hundred text emails, grab a few dozen apps, hit a hundred standard websites, maybe a half dozen songs, a few large documents, a few jpgs from friends, and watch a few videos on youtube, then a 4gb monthly plan will work for you.

But, if you want to do all that AND stream music 24 hours a day, or download more than 1 or 2 rental movies in a month, (lots of data!) then you will probably max out your download limit.

Video is a data hog. HD video is even more so.

Most people fall somewhere in between.

If you take your phone or mifi or laptop or whatever to a free wifi hotspot, you will probably be able to download those LARGE files like movies, and that wont cost you anything or subtract from your data limit on 4G. Some public wifi hotspots are faster then others, so downloading a large video file could take more than an hour.

I have a 2GB plan on my iPad, and it works great for the 2 weeks every month that I'm gone from the house, I hardly ever hit the limit. But at home, I'm on DSL, so the limit is way up there, around 250GB...which I never even get close to.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Is there any way to looking into the modem or router to see what my average current data use is?

Call your provider. Thats the easiest way. Or if they have a webpage where you can pay your bill it may be listed there.