IGNORED

More questions from Old Red

Well I am sure that you all will tire of my questions before long but I have a few more here for you. First The head light, sometimes the low beam works and sometimes it don't. Thought it was the start button but have gone through that with the help of Dingy's thread on it and still have the problem. I have power at the switch all the time(when not pressing the starter) but not all the time at the light. Second one here, it had a full tank of acient gas (paint thinner now) that I was able to get most siphoned out, but there is about 1/2 gallon that I just cant get to. Will a can of sea-foam put in with fresh gas be OK? Third, I have seen it posted to relocate the TCI to a more accessible spot for future reasons, however when I set it up above the battery the cover will not go on. Can I mount it in the fairing? Fourth, I found at Oriellies a 12 spot spade fuse box, my current one has 6 (I believe) Should I stay with a smaller one or can the 12 spot one work (hope so it is being discontinued and is only $10).

I think that is about it for now. Thank You, Shaun

Trust us, we will never tire of questions, we live for them!

OK for the gas, you can try to syphon or vacuum pump the remaining crud, or yes seafoam and fresh gas will work out. Just be prepared to put new plugs in afterwords as the seafoam will loosen a lot of crud and foul out the plugs.

The headlight issue is probably just corrosion on the headlight connector, a common issue. You can use contact cleaner, or baking powder and water followed by a blast of air and let dry all afternoon. A dab of dielectric grease should be in order too. The connections on the reserve lighting unit should be serviced as well. The reserve lighting unit is a large black boxy device with wires sticking out that is mounted on the front fairing frame above the relays. They have been known to cause problems as well. Are you sure the bulb is good???

AS far as the fuse box goes, if you do the 12, as long as it physically fits, then you can always use the extra fuses for accessories like air horns, driving lights, GPS etc!

On the headlight, I suspect that the CMS, the monitoring system in the middle of your dash needs the solder connections redone. That is a very common problem on a 1st gens and I have fixed several. There are several posts on how to do it.

On your fuel, I would put the bike on the centerstand and take the fuel line off the fuel pump and pump the fuel out. You will also need to get changing the fuel filter on the top of your priority list also.

RandyA

Thanks guys. I am trying to stay busy doing the little things right now until I get money freed up to do other stuff, like carbs. I am also wondering if I should get into the rear end and do some service there as well, have no idea how long it has been sinse it has had anything done. The plugs in it right now were discontinued 3 years ago, the battery is almost 10 years old and the oil filter cover is leaking.

I am starting to question weather I can get her up and going but my wife has not wavered. Thanks again, Shaun

OK Ill leave the fuel comments to better minds. The headlight issue is a bit out of my league also. Now as for the cdi/tci, it will fit under the false tank. As soon as I can get a few pics of mine ill post it up for you. Now the trick is that your trying to putit too high. You stated that you tried to put it on top of the battery box. Try putting it on the air box, thats where mine is located. You can also go to the classified section and look under member venders . Look for skydoc17's items he has a complete replacement block for the fuse box that comes along with all the attachments and directions to walk you through it.

Kepp asking any ?? you have and well try our best to answer as well as we can.

David