IGNORED

Shifter linkage came loose from bike 97 RSTD

Hello everybody, been a while for me here. I was riding my 97 RSTD when I went to down shift coming off the freeway and there was nothing!! I pulled the clutch and coasted to a gas station right off the freeway, where I saw that the linkage had come loose from the tranny! I was able to push it in and got it into 2nd gear to get home with, but I'm not sure what the fix is here. Anyone know? Thanks!

This is an extremely common problem with the 2nd gens - we recommend everyone locktite that bolt ASAP when they get one of these bikes.

Two very easy emergency fixes - The bolts that hold on th eplastic apron around the ignition key are the same size - just take one out and put the shifter back in place. Option 2 is to take one of the "fake" bolts out of either side or front battery cover; they are also the same size. We say "fake" bolts because they do not hold anything on - just for looks. The only real bolt in the battery covers is the rear one on either side.

By the way, that shifter needs to be greased periodically or it will wear out of round and flop a lot (there is a grease groove on the mount). But be careful to keep that bolt clean and dry or the locktite won't do anything.

Goose

BTW This is not the shifter itself I'm talking about. It came loose from the bike down below the exhaust pipe where it goes into the tranny.

Oops, that is a different story all together!

I have never seen that happen, but it sounds like the linkage was not installed correctly. I do not know if the 97 RSTD used the same linkage as the pst-'99 2nd gens, but on those it is supposed to fit in a hole in the bottom of the middle gear cover. If it is in there correctly, I can't think of any way it could come out.

Goose

I was afraid of that! All I can find here is problems with the shifter coming off. Been through that already, replaced and loctite-ed that bolt. But this... not sure AT ALL how this works, and the pipe is smack in the way, making it really tough to assess the problem! I'm hoping nothing inside broke off!!

• 2 months later...