IGNORED

piture taken?

Naked Rider

with some of you taken so many picture like Bobbi and lonna and a few more of you what do you save them to or put them on. i dont want to waste so much of my hard drive storeing them so what should i do put them on flash drives or buy an externial hard drive i mostly burn them to disc but disc can get broke so do any one of you have any good sugestions on how to store and save my pictures?:scratchchin:

Drive space is cheap. I have a file server on my home network. I use Adobe Lightroom to catalog my images. In my desktop I have a 1 terrabyte drive that is only for images. For backup I have an external USB 1 terrabyte and a 1 terrabyte drive in the file server. I never copy images directly from the card to the computer using windows file manager.

I use Lightroom to import the files from the card and place them onto the desktop's 1 terrabyte drive. As Lightroom imports the images the software tags each image with key words that will allow me to search for images based on the topic, location, date, person, etc. As the images are imported and cataloged, Lightroom also backs up all of the images to the external USB drive. And then a couple of times a month I back up my entire catalog to the file server.

Terrabyte drives are less than $100 now. When my destop drive is full I'll just pull it out and place both it and the external drive on a shelf for backup and install two more drives. If I need to work on one of the old images I can pull it from the file server.

So far I have over 25,000 images cataloged an I'm not through. I really like Lightroom. The software is exprensive but well worth the money.

Dennis

I tend to burn them on a disc. Now as for your comment on getting broke or scratched, I went to walmart and baught a cd holder that holds 200 cd's and use it to hold the burnt disc. When zipped up the case keeps them protected. Not sure if this will work for you but it works well for me.

Good luck

David

I am an avid photographer and take lots of photos. I have several memory cards that hold more than a DVD's-worth. I have upsized disk space as I went, and bought a 500GB external drive (it stored more than just photos). Unfortunately, it started failing on startup. If it died, I would lose most of my photos.

What I have now done is bought a 4-disk "Network Attached Storage" device configured as RAID 5. If one of the disks fails, the remaining disks hold the information necessary to rebuild a replacement. Right now they are 4x 500GB drives, giving me about 1.3TB of pretty safe storage.

If you have not yet worried about photo storage, I would guess such measures are beyond your need. You can buy a 1TB internal drive for $90. I would not use a flash drive, since they are more susceptible to failure. External drives die too, especially if you carry them, but you usually get an indication of impending death before it happens.

Dave

Might I suggest that you select your favorites and take the files somewhere and have them printed. Not at home on an ink jet as they have a much shorter life.

Prints are going to last a long time.

Who knows what storage devices we will have 10 years from now and will anything we now have work? :photographing:

• 4 weeks later...

For $25 a year you can get a flickr pro account, which lets you upload the full size image files of all your pics. A great way to backup.

Local backups are good (like external drives/file servers/etc...) but if the house burns down, it's going to take your server, too. Flickr is online and offsite, and they have their own redundant backups, too. You can have private folders of private images nobody can see if you need that.

For $25 a year, to never lose baby pics, wedding pics, old family photos... you can't beat that! I lost a bunch of baby photos and pics from high school in a hurricaine. Never again.

rs