IGNORED

fuel petcock fix

iridedou

After searching and reading over the searched items on this forum, I didn't find a quick homemade fix of a fuel petcock knob replacement for an '84 Venture. Understanding that most just leave it on reserve and forget about it because:

-too awkward to reach while riding anyway

-who needs prime when you have a fuel pump

-$36 to replace with an OEM plastic one

I still would like to make it functional and am thinking of things to thread in the existing petcock, such as a bolt with some kind of flat headed bolt to have enough leverage to be able to turn on occasion. Mine is missing the knob altogether. Metal would hold up better anyway, right?

Any thoughts?

Well, I found that a set of needle nose pliers works fine to carefully turn the petcock with a missing handle. I also sprayed a little WD-40 on it before turning back and forth from ON/OFF/RES and left it on RES for now. Mine seems to move freely. Just keep the needle nose in my tool kit.

I don't see just the knob listed anywhere... just the full unit.

"I" would be interested in a better "knob"... the design sucks.

I don't think 83 even HAD a selector...

83 = 26H-24500-00-00 FUEL COCK ASSY 1 $32 at Zanotti

84-93 = 3JJ-24500-00-00 FUEL COCK ASS''Y 1 $66 same place

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

I believe there was a mod about replcing one of the washers behind the front "dress plate" that made the knob turn easier...

it's a spring loaded affair I believe so a little "force reduction" would sure be a solution!