IGNORED

gas, gas, everwhere gas

So I go to start the RSTD and am having a heck of a time. Finally open the throttle all the way and it finally fires. If I let up on the throttle I know it will flood out. I look down and see gas coming out of a hose. I have colored the leaking hose red in the attached black and white image. Is this the breather hose? Sorry all, but I know zero about carbs. And my nearest Yamaha dealer told me "4 carbs = 4 hours labor at $100 per hour" Ouch!! Any advice from anyone? $400 would be painful and they said that doesn't include any parts for fixing.

Tap the float bowls to see if that frees it up. If that works seafoam or techtron in a heavy dose may fix your issue.

thanks for the response dacheedah. I spent the morning on youtube familiarizing myself with carb terms. At my age, I just can't believe the plethora of good info on the internet. I was so mad at the quote from my yamaha dealer, I decided to attempt full repair myself. I have the air housing off and the carb openings exposed. I believe I have found the faulty carb by all the gas surrounding the air intake opening on that particular carb. Tomorrow I will be pulling the carb housing (?) from the top of the engine and begin cleaning ALL the carbs. :fingers-crossed-emo Any words of precaution from all you veteran mechanics? This is actually FUN!!! I wish I would have attempted riding and repairing my own ride many many years ago!!

WELCOME! These articles are from the 2nd Gen and Royal Star tech library section and should come in handy.

Removing

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7830

Setting float levels

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24246

Synchronizing (FSM procedure is incorrect)

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

RSTDdog... thank you, thank you, for those great links. Even though mine is an earlier year, the technique appears almost identical except for slight variations. Seeing how the throttle cables in the first posting were shown, was huge and really explained what the clymer manual was alluding to. Great threads and thanks again..

Your OP says its an RSTD which most will assume as I did that you have a 2005-2009 model bike which is mechanically identical to the 1999-current Royal Star Venture. Those links address the carbs fitted to those RSTD/RSV models. It would be most helpful to know what year bike and model you have as there are likely some subtle differences in the early Royal Stars. Many people here with those bikes too if that is what you have.

Consider the membership, helps keep the site going, cost less than the Clymer manual, and as you pointed out, the info and people here are much more useful.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

RSTDdog

Very good point. I neglected to mention I have the '97 RSTD. Was only able to work on it for a little time today. So I changed out the fuel filter with a yamaha one, since I didn't know how long it has been since the current one was replaced. Will be removing the carb housing hopefully tomorrow.

Your OP says its an RSTD which most will assume as I did that you have a 2005-2009 model bike which is mechanically identical to the 1999-current Royal Star Venture. Those links address the carbs fitted to those RSTD/RSV models. It would be most helpful to know what year bike and model you have as there are likely some subtle differences in the early Royal Stars. Many people here with those bikes too if that is what you have.

Consider the membership, helps keep the site going, cost less than the Clymer manual, and as you pointed out, the info and people here are much more useful.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

RSTDdog

Again, great advice RSTDdog. Count me in as a new supporting member!!

OK, I have the carb assembly off and on the workbench. I sit here staring at it and trying to figure out how I am going to get the float covers off. Failure is not an option at this point. Prior to this, my experience with motorized vehicles was turning the keys over to a mechanic. Looks like I will have to somewhat separate the assembly in order to get those floats exposed. I was really hoping not to have to skew any adjustments as the bike was running great prior to my mishap. Looks like #1 was the main culprit as it has the look of being soaked with fresh gas all over it. Is there a specific routine for separating the carbs whereby no adjustments are tampered with? It appears I will have to remove the two choke assemblies (one each side) and the mounting brackets to get enough separation. does that sound correct? What should I be cautious with? thanks for any responses.

Carbs are now 99.9% separated. Only thing left to do is undo the synchronizing screws. I see now, that my question above was really a newbie question. Sorry to all who thought I lost my marbles. One question before I loosen the synch screw for #1 and #2 carb along with the synch screws for #3 and #4 carbs. Is it worth my while to count the turns of the screw while loosening, in order to try and get them back into the same position upon reassembly? Or will cleaning the carbs thoroughly skew those synch settings anyway? Just curious. In other words, should I just courageously loosen them and resign myself to the fact I will have to resynch the carbs after putting everything back together? :080402gudl_prv:Thanks for any input... cheers!!

thanks billmac... have to work today so hopefully I can complete the separation and begin the carb cleanings tomorrow.. So far, yamahapartshouse has been my cheapest alternatives for product. I must be ordering odd stuff because everything seems to be two weeks out. :confused:

---cheers!!

This Info is a little late, but i don't think you needed to separate the carb bodies unless they are really bad and need to be soaked individually. Float chamber covers should come off with the carbs off the bike but still assembled as a rack of 4.

This Info is a little late, but i don't think you needed to separate the carb bodies unless they are really bad and need to be soaked individually. Float chamber covers should come off with the carbs off the bike but still assembled as a rack of 4.

I was hoping that to be the case also, RSTDdog. Alas, the way the carbs are oriented, there are 2 screws in each float bowl inaccessible to remove unless all are separated. So separation was inevitable. On the good side, it appears all the carbs need a really good and careful cleaning.

Update: All carbs separated and have been visually inspected. The diaphragm for carb #1 slide is full of pinholes. Do you all suggest buying the new assembly for approx $150 or go for the diaphragm only for around $30 and try to replace it? Any experts on just replacing the diaphragms for the 97 RSTD? Also, the O-rings on the fuel nipples between the carbs are deteriorating severely. Gaskets on the bottom of the float bowls appear as if they have almost teleported to another planet while the gaskets around the bowl look like something has been eating away at it. Don't know what the previous owners were using in the tank but apparently the inside of the carbs don't like it. There is also a fine whitish residue all over everything in the float bowl. Interesting.

The Bright Side: I am getting a thorough education on carbs. :)

Thorough cleaning of all carbs will have to wait until next week when my schedule permits.

Besides, all the darned parts are 7 to 10 days out anyways.

Helpful hints in this process are heartily encouraged !! :detective: