IGNORED

Flanders Bar replacement on 2005 RSTD

Phoneman1981

Hello Everyone: Just wanted to thank everyone who commented on Flanders handlebar upgrade. It convinced me to order the bars. I installed the bars on Saturday and rode 300 pain free miles on Sunday. No more burning neck pain!!!! I will try to get around to getting pictures posted. I came up with a very good easy cheap way to save the bar weights. Any questions are welcome. I am glad to provide advise just like all you have done. Thanks......

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the pics, this is something that I have been thinking of doing, my shoulders and neck get to hurting pretty bad after a few hundred miles. Besides the pics of the weights, how about a right up of the project? Did you have to change cables? re-route? any way it looks great!!

K

Hello: I only rerouted the cables. Gained some slack under the tank. Someday I might install longer SS lines as some other members have done. Besides eliminating my neck and shoulder pain, I felt the new bars improved the slow speed handling of the bike. I reccommend keeping the bar end weights if you had them to begin with? They give you more length and also a place to rest your throttle hand when the cruise is engaged. Hope this helps?

Great . thanks for the PICS. What was teh item number.

I have been thinking bout it but have not decided on which bar to buy.

I would like one where I could keep all the original stuff and not break the bank.

Glad you got it figured out. Im a bit jeaoule i really wnat to be comfortable.

I did the Flanders bar install last summer about the same time as Phoneman1981.

They were on backorder for awhile but got mine through Phats for $139.95

Here is the thread with usnmustang's great pictoral writeup

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37770

but the p/n he listed is possibly a typo as for the RSTD it is 650-08783 as Phoneman said.

usnmustang and Phoneman have come up with unique ways to get the bar end weights back on.. but my bike didnt have them as the previous owner had installed Kurykans..

I did change my front brake lines to SS and extended it by 3 inches. Got them from Cycle Brakes p/n FK003D463-3+3 for $150. Yamaha recommends the rubber ones be changed every 3 years anyhow I believe. I still want to change the back ones one day..

The other cables were easy enough to extend.

Kreg, since you have a RSV it would be a different Flanders model, but I hear RSTD stock bars work and give you more pullback. I would give you mine but already promised them to Squidley.

-Keith