IGNORED

Pulling wheel bearings-Part 1 of 2

When I removed the front and rear wheel bearings I used a blind hole pilot puller from Harbor Freight. It is a Pittsburg brand. Normal price is $40.00 I got it on sale for $30.00.

You put the collet through the bearing and tighten with a set of wrenches. The collet spreads and grabs under the bearing. On wheels with spacers Tightening securely will force the fingers between the spacer and bearing. Then you use the slide hammer attachment. It could use a heavier weight but it works well. Stop and retighten the collet several times. The other pictures show the front right spacer, the drive hub, the needle bearing sleeve and then the sleeve installed. Also the bearing spacer tube and the rear right spacer. Note: the small raised ridge goes against the bearing. Also shown is the speedo drive tang and its spacer/ring.

JB

21698.jpg 21699.jpg 21700.jpg 21701.jpg 21702.jpg 21703.jpg 21704.jpg 21705.jpg 21706.jpg 21707.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Note: the small raised ridge goes against the bearing.

JB

Interesting tool, would like to hear, on how that works on the left side bearing of the rear wheel. That one is a PITA & can't normally remove with the needle bearings intact.

That's an awfull fancy work table ya got there, Lonestar, I noticed the railing in the background. Mama lettin' you use the kitchen table?!?!?!? You better watch out for those pink screwdrivers. Muffinman might be claiming those for himself!!!!!!!

Dan

Great article, by the way.

That's an awfull fancy work table ya got there, Lonestar, I noticed the railing in the background. Mama lettin' you use the kitchen table?!?!?!? You better watch out for those pink screwdrivers. Muffinman might be claiming those for himself!!!!!!!

Dan

Great article, by the way.

DAN! i was just fixin to ask j.b. , how he got those screw sticks away from "muffinman's tool box, without gettin' caught!

lol

brilliant minds think alike!

just jt

I admit it. I have a colorful toolbox. A lot of my tools are bright colored. The O-ring picks are pink, The small torx or green, the small screwdrivers are purple. My standard size screwdrivers are red. Snap-On had a thing for bright colors one year. I like them. Found a black handled screwdriver with a lawnmower one time. The fancy rails are a king-size bookcase headboard I am refinishing. It is sitting between the mig-welder, the drill press, and the compound miter saw. I really gotta get it finished.

JB