IGNORED

Paint Color and Trailer Painting

1sttenor

I was reading one of the other threads that brought up a question...

Has anyone ever tried to get a color match at an automotive parts store or other vendor to match the Venture, and did the color match up well? I've got a white trailer and just can't justify spending $500 on a paint job. Has anyone painted their trailer to match their bike and have any pointers for doing so?

I repainted my trunk last spring and the local automotive paint store was able to match the colors from my 86 very close. Because of the type paint used they couldn't get an exact match but nobody has been able to tell that there is a difference at all.

I was very happy. A suggestion though. Once they get it matched, have them write the formula down in case you need more in the future.

Dave

I purchased an automotive paint spray gun from Harbor Freight ($10.00) to use with the compressor I already owned.

The auto paint supplier was able to line me up with the paint, clear coat, and prep materials I needed to do the job.

One of my neighbors had done a lot of paint work over the years. I sat down with him and he explained how to go about painting it.

Then I just went to work. I had to sand off a small area where the paint ran a little bit and the clear coat had some orange peel texture to it at first, but a little light sanding there and another shot of clear coat and it was ready to go.

I was intimidated by the idea going in but quickly learned that it wasn't overly hard to do a straight up (two colors) paint job. I don't claim that it's as good as someone that does it every day but I was very please. Patience is the key!!

My son help along the way and a couple of weeks later, we repainted everything on his bike except the fairing.

Go for it. :080402gudl_prv:

Dave

That makes me feel better. Like I said, it is the trailer, so it doesn't have to be perfect or exact match. I saw a sprayer the other day $25, that looked better than I needed really, but if I could get it done with paint, clear coat and sprayer for less than $150, I'd be willing to try it. Thanks for the input.

Tommy