IGNORED

Flaky radio

clav_guy

I have an '06 RSV and it's recently devlepoped an interesting problem/glitch. Every once in a while the audio system stops responding to any of the buttons. The only thing it responds to is the volume control. If I push the up or down arrows, nothing happens, and the same holds true for the AUDIO, SELECT and CB buttons. If I hold the AUDIO button long enough, it shuts off then I can turn it back on. But that doesn't always fix it. I haven't been keeping tabs on when it happens, but I think it doesn't happen when I first start it cold in the morning.

Anyone have any ideas?????

Also, is there any "system reset" for the audio system???

Thank you in advance

CG

CG, I have a 07 RSV that had the same problem. I took mine back 3 times to get it fixed. First time they put Di-elec. Grease in the connectors. Next they replaced the head unit on the bars, finally they replaced both the head unit and the main unit under front fairing. Dealer said they tried mix matching all the parts and found the problem was in the plug between the head unit and main unit. Has worked perfect since first of July when I finally got it back. I did find out they don't replace those parts with new parts, both boxes for both parts said Remanufactured on them.

Thank goodness for 5 yr warranty. Take it in and let them fix it.

Good Luck......John

Just got back from a 4300 mile trip from Southern Cal to Port Angeles, Washington and back. Had exactly the same problem! Some days couldn't make it work half a day. Other days it would come back to normal after first stop. It did seem to occur more in damp and cold. I guess I'll play with the connectors before having them replace the control unit since I am not too convinced that's where the problem is. A real pain in the butt.....

I have an 05 I have had it worked on time and time again they want replace the unit but they tell me that the wire that comes off the control is some how to tight and at the control so they loosen up the wire tries on the handle bars and pull a little slack back toward the control and it works better. I want say all the time but it does work much better. Cold weather does have some thing to do with but that is because the wire is cold and has not exspanded yet. Try this, turn the wheel all the way to the left and see if it knocks (causes buttons not to work) out the control. On mine the light in the control drims a little. Just one of those things.

Can't wait to see the 09's should be some new changes.

Mine was doing the same thing. They replaced the main brain 3 times. It would work well for a short time and then do the same thing. It did the same thing again the other day after I washed the bike. I think the control may get a little wet or the connection between the control and the brain. What they finally came up with that fixed it at least until the glitch I spoke of recently is that my stator was over charging and overriding the regulator and putting a power surge through the audio system causing the symptoms you have described. The stator was bad as the windings were melted together. I saw it with my own eyes. They said it was putting out twice as much charge as normal. They put another voltage regulator on to see if it was the voltage regulator and got the same over charging problem leading them to believe that it was overriding the regulator and overriding the system. The audio has worked flawlessly since except that one day that I washed the bike. I think that must be a connection problem or the control got wet from my bike being washed. I hope it is not the control itself as my bike is now out of warranty. I also did all the things described on this site like dialectic grease and tightening connections prior to taking it to the dealer just like you did to no avail. You might have them check the voltage through the system as it might be the same issue of stator over charging. I was really surprised as you mostly hear complaints that the system doesn't provide enough charge and is weak. I'm still not convinced that this was the problem with the audio but the symptoms stopped and the audio works well now. I have put probably 4-5000 miles on her since they fixed it. Good luck! I hope this helps.

This problem is not uncommon, as others above noted. Most often we have found that it is caused by poor connection in the plug for the control head. Plug and unplug it several times (inside the fairing) to clean the surface oxidation off the pins, then put some dielectric grease on them to prevent future problems.

BUT, I have also discovered a design flaw in the system that is very similar. I say it is a design flaw because I have experienced it on several RSVs with identical symptoms. This only happens when using BOTH the CB and radio/cass/aux system at the same time. The symptoms are simple to detect - while the display is set to the audio side (not on CB), none of the buttons work. If you adjust the volume, you will see a little "c" next to the number in the display, indicating it is actually adjusting the CB volume even though it should not. The only way to get out of this problem is to briefly turn off either the radio or the CB, then turn it back on - then all will work fine.

I have been unable to find a way to reproduce this problem on demand. It USUALLY happens after starting the bike with both the CB and radio on (and the control head displaying the radio, not the CB), but even then it may only happen 20% of the time. It may be happening much more frequently than I know, since I often ride for many hours without touching any buttons or the volume. When the problem is happening, the CB and radio/aux input all work perfectly except for the buttons. I have found that I can occasionally induce the problem by quickly switching between radio and CB while hitting other buttons, such as jumping over to the CB to turn up the squelch, then back to the radio, back to the CB, etc.

That is probably overly long and confusing. Bottom line is that if you trying to adjust the radio/aux volume and see the "c" in the display, you are seeing this problem.

If it is a design flaw in the radio as I believe, caused by a timing issue between the CB and radio when used together, then the dealers will not be able to fix it, no matter how many things they replace. If I can ever find a way to reproduce it at will, I will try to push the issue with Yamahaha. I find it irritating but livable. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose