IGNORED

Rubbing noise????

Greetings, I am not sure if this has been covered before. I have a 2000 RSV. Went out for a ride this afternoon did not get to the end of block and I could here a rubbing noise from the back axle.it was not constant but with every turn of the tire it faded in and out. I was wondering if any body might have any ideas what it might be???? Oil in :95: axle is fine. thanx..

Have you had the rear wheel off lately for a tire change or any other maintenance? There is a washer/spacer that goes into the rear hub on the right side. It is turned down on one side. If it is put in backwards, it will allow the wheel to run out just enough to rub the tire on the frame.

Have you had the rear wheel off lately for a tire change or any other maintenance? There is a washer/spacer that goes into the rear hub on the right side. It is turned down on one side. If it is put in backwards, it will allow the wheel to run out just enough to rub the tire on the frame.

OK, your not following the golden rule....Pictures please!

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture. :( Here is a great article that shows the proper place for the spacer between the caliper and swing arm but not the spacer that I'm talking about.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515

The one that I'm talking about goes right into the hub. It has a turned down side that should go in...against the bearing. If you put it in backwards, the tire WILL barely rub. I PROMISE you that it will. :whistling:

This is also something that you have to watch for if you pull your wheel and take it to the shop to have a tire mounted. The spacer will fall out and get lost. I always remove it before taking my wheel in.

I do thank you all for your replies. Took bike in to stealers today of course bike did not make noise while they were riding it trying to hear said noise. I do not have a jack for lifting bike up. Do have a stand on the way which will help. At least I will be able to have tire off of ground and be able to rotate by hand hopefully be able to get better idea from where noise is coming from. I did look at washer did seem to be right way. I was hoping to be able to put bike up on rack at stealers but all racks were full. You think with me buying bike there they would of have been a little more cooperative. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!:think:

It started with a minor intermittent rubbing sound and a clicking noise when I back the bike out of the garage. BTW, mine is a 2000 RSV MM with 13000 miles. I took it to the dealer told him to grease the splines. He did and said the rear brakes were shot so he replaced those. Cost = $175. it was quiet and then I took the bike out on a 400 mile run and the rubbing noise was back only worse. Started to sound like metal on metal, very loud and constant rubbing sound. I changed the rear drive oil but it actually seemed worse.

I rushed the bike in again for repairs. This time I told them I wanted everything possible in the rear greased including the drive shaft. Got the bike back and it has been really quiet ever since (700 miles). Cost = $75 but they would tell me everything that was greased or actions taken with the rear wheel off.

Bottom line is I don't know if it was all the grease or if it was the brakes not installed correctly or the rear wheel washer talked about above was installed backwards, but the bike runs quiet so I guess I should shut up too!