IGNORED

The saga of the tires

lonestarmedic

(Or what I did instead of going to Houston for Red Lobster)

So, the bike needed new tires. Bought a set of Continental ContiTours from Dennis Kirk. Then I picked up a set of rims on e-Bay. Mount and balance then just swap out. Sounds great in the master plan. Pull the seals to get sized at the local bearing house. Man says not a problem. Also order new bearings. Get a new drive side bearing from the dealer. RIGHT!!! The local dealer wants $68.00!!! Start calling and get a lead on one for $39.00. Get it coming for this past Thursday. Guy from the seal house calls and can't find the seals. Too special but he can order. Tell him ok and go for the Stealership. They have 3 of 4 seals. Go home and take front wheel off and kneel the bike forward. Worked great and I did remember a ratchet strap for the center stand. Start on the rear. Muffler off and set aside, loosen axle shaft a bit to make sure all is ok. Remove caliper bolts in rear and the threads come out with the bolts. Rats-helicoil time. Mutter and loosen the 4 shaft tube nuts and put 1 back as a holder. Pull the axle and drop the wheel perfectly. Wipe down and pull snap ring and remove drive hub. Wait, snap ring groove? The e-Bay wheel didn't have that!! Call tire man in the AM. Already mounted and balanced. Take the disc off my original wheel and take over. Sure enough the drive hub was removed without taking off the snap ring. Would have liked to see the force required to break the entire center of the wheel off! Tire guy charges me for 3 changes and off I go. Want to go to Houston for meet and eat so I drive to Austin and get the last seal. Now I know why I only pulled 3 seals. The broken off end had the fourth. Stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a blind hole bearing puller set. (On sale for $29.00) Go to bolt place and get 10mm x 1.25 permacoil kit. Auto parts - $75.00 and bolt place $32.00. Now I am ready to go. Only it is 6:30 PM on Friday. Decide to quit and repair on Saturday.

Reassembly and bearing replacement is smooth. The puller kit made it a snap. All cleaned, greased, neverseized, and blue locktited. Perma-coils put on right on bike without removing caliper. Pictures galore taken and all buttoned up. Guessed at the torque on the rear axle. Calls for 110 ft.-lbs. Used a wrench and white knuckles method. It turns well and no binding. Brake caliper on and holding great. Now I get to clean up in the AM. I have seal sizes and bearing numbers for later. I will post the pics and do a write-up for the archives. Oh, the e-Bay guy is giving me back my rim money. It was $9.99. I got both rims, the radio, amp, and whole wiring harness for $60.00 delivered so the money isn't a problem. I explained what it took to break the hub and suggested that his shop monkeys learn to wipe off stuff and not use a shop press and torch for disassembly.

Long-winded story

JB

(Or what I did instead of going to Houston for Red Lobster)

So, the bike needed new tires. Bought a set of Continental ContiTours from Dennis Kirk. Then I picked up a set of rims on e-Bay. Mount and balance then just swap out. Sounds great in the master plan. Pull the seals to get sized at the local bearing house. Man says not a problem. Also order new bearings. Get a new drive side bearing from the dealer. RIGHT!!! The local dealer wants $68.00!!! Start calling and get a lead on one for $39.00. Get it coming for this past Thursday. Guy from the seal house calls and can't find the seals. Too special but he can order. Tell him ok and go for the Stealership. They have 3 of 4 seals. Go home and take front wheel off and kneel the bike forward. Worked great and I did remember a ratchet strap for the center stand. Start on the rear. Muffler off and set aside, loosen axle shaft a bit to make sure all is ok. Remove caliper bolts in rear and the threads come out with the bolts. Rats-helicoil time. Mutter and loosen the 4 shaft tube nuts and put 1 back as a holder. Pull the axle and drop the wheel perfectly. Wipe down and pull snap ring and remove drive hub. Wait, snap ring groove? The e-Bay wheel didn't have that!! Call tire man in the AM. Already mounted and balanced. Take the disc off my original wheel and take over. Sure enough the drive hub was removed without taking off the snap ring. Would have liked to see the force required to break the entire center of the wheel off! Tire guy charges me for 3 changes and off I go. Want to go to Houston for meet and eat so I drive to Austin and get the last seal. Now I know why I only pulled 3 seals. The broken off end had the fourth. Stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a blind hole bearing puller set. (On sale for $29.00) Go to bolt place and get 10mm x 1.25 permacoil kit. Auto parts - $75.00 and bolt place $32.00. Now I am ready to go. Only it is 6:30 PM on Friday. Decide to quit and repair on Saturday.

Reassembly and bearing replacement is smooth. The puller kit made it a snap. All cleaned, greased, neverseized, and blue locktited. Perma-coils put on right on bike without removing caliper. Pictures galore taken and all buttoned up. Guessed at the torque on the rear axle. Calls for 110 ft.-lbs. Used a wrench and white knuckles method. It turns well and no binding. Brake caliper on and holding great. Now I get to clean up in the AM. I have seal sizes and bearing numbers for later. I will post the pics and do a write-up for the archives. Oh, the e-Bay guy is giving me back my rim money. It was $9.99. I got both rims, the radio, amp, and whole wiring harness for $60.00 delivered so the money isn't a problem. I explained what it took to break the hub and suggested that his shop monkeys learn to wipe off stuff and not use a shop press and torch for disassembly.

Long-winded story

JB

masterfully written , J.B.!

you know the old saying.

any excuse is better than none at all.

:witch_brew::Avatars_Gee_George:

just jt

• 2 weeks later...

JB, I'm working on my rear hub as well and I pulled and pried a little at that center drive hub before I saw the snap ring buried in old grease. Didn't pry too hard, though... :-)

Is there a thread about your death wobble experience? I can't seem to find it. Is that why you're doing all the bearings? Did you have any wobbles or handling problems prior to this?

Jeremy