IGNORED

turbo charger sound

sargergp

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the RSV world. I just bought my '05 midnight special two weeks ago(traded in an '03 Valkyrie for it) and love it. I've already put 800 miles on it. I've noticed this chirping sound in it that resembles the turbo charger whistle from an old military truck and have read some of the threads on here about it. It is pretty annoying. What is it? On my bike it starts at about 50 and gets louder all the way through any reasonable cruising speeds up to 75(I haven't tried cruising above that and don't intend to).

The salesman I bought it from rides an '01 and he said his does it too, that it was normal. Is that true or is there something that I need to have done to it?

Although I don't own a 2nd gen the noise you hear is attributed to the clutch basket. It can be changed to reduce or get rid of the noise. A search in the 2nd gen forum should give you information on the fix. Welcome to the site.:D

Although I don't own a 2nd gen the noise you hear is attributed to the clutch basket. It can be changed to reduce or get rid of the noise. A search in the 2nd gen forum should give you information on the fix. Welcome to the site.:D

Thanks MRAF, that seems to be the only thing everyone talks about that is common to this noise.

mraf is correct, it has been with the RSV since they came out in 99. Some have it worse than others and a few don't have it at all. Since you have an 05 the warranty (5 year, unlimited mileage) warranty is still in effect. Go to the dealer, let them test ride the bike and have them order you a new clutch basket. The baskets have an alpha identifier, ie-"j", which I think is the most recent basket to greatly reduce the whine. If the dealer gives you any problems call the district rep, and if that doesn't work call California office. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Stay on them; this is a known problem with Yamaha. Good luck.