I am brand new, and thanks to Lonestarmedic I have found a great group to talk about my project. I purchased a 87 VR in fair condition, (runs good, looks bad) but the prior owner tried to rewire the lighting and now nothing works, I have the tech manual on disk and all the wiring diagrams. The problem is that he cut and tried to splice everything instead of following where they went. Am I going to have to remove all tape from everything and trace from each light to the fuse box, or is it easier to buy a new wiring harness? I am not as worried about asthetics as I want to get it legal so that my Duramax can get a rest on good sunny days. Thanks in advance

You have to consider the damage you see. You have to do a LOT of disassembly to fully remove and replace a wiring harness. You have the service manual and the wiring all is fairly well color coded. I would think it best to disconnect any slice you find, ohm it to the "correct" connect points, insure the destination is what it's suppose to be or correct it. I use an old method of inline twist of wire ends, soldered and then apply a little dialecxtric grease on the wires and slip a good length of shrink tubing overr it all, heat and shrink.

My previous owner was inventive... just twist the wires together and tuck them away when you can, let the others just hang. random blown fuses on the first couple rides brought this to light... find 'em... fix 'em.

you already have access to the best 1st gen electrician , in San,Antonio!

don't be bashful about snagging lonestar medic, and getting him to assist.

tell him, "it's his duty", 'cause hip shot said so!lol :hurts:

i agree with the suggestion of FIXING the harness that you have. replacing a complete harness could turn into a MAJOR project.

good luck, and WELCOME to "our house"!

just jt

Glad you made it. I looked in the dogpile and I have a wiring harness from e-bay. I got it for cheap as it was a multi item shipment. I think a six-pack and a pizza will cover the price. It is in great shape with all the fuse wires intact. Will see you at work this week and figure out when to tear it apart. We will get the old girl up and running.

Wiring, battery cables, fresh grounds, replace fuse holder, resolder compressor control board, do the dash while in there, replace the battery sensor, Sea-Foam it, carb tune............................................................................... And the fun begins.

JB

you already have access to the best 1st gen electrician , in San,Antonio!

don't be bashful about snagging lonestar medic, and getting him to assist.

tell him, "it's his duty", 'cause hip shot said so!lol :hurts:

i agree with the suggestion of FIXING the harness that you have. replacing a complete harness could turn into a MAJOR project.

good luck, and WELCOME to "our house"!

just jt

you see, what i told ya has been volunteered!

NO way, he was gonna make you beg! very good job, j.b..!:cool10::cool10::cool10:

lol

just jt