IGNORED

Sgt. Michael Hullender

clay18

He was a good buddy of mine in High school, I just got the news.

Soldier from Norcross dies helping others

Michael Hullender, a medic, is killed in Iraq

By D. AILEEN DODD

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/02/07

The U.S. Army will award two posthumous medals to a Norcross High School graduate killed over the weekend while serving in the war on terrorism.

Sgt. Michael Hullender, 29, was killed when he stepped on a bomb in Iraq. The medic was helping fallen soldiers when he died, military officials said.

"He is receiving a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart,'' said Maj. Dennis Hilpiper, a mortuary case manager with the U.S. Army based in Alexandria, Va. "The military will present those awards to the family.''

Hullender is the son of Ren Hullender, a former Fine Arts Department chairman of North Gwinnett High School. The educator retired last year after a long career with the Gwinnett County Public School system. He was looking forward to pursuing his doctorate.

"It was a dream deferred because he was a single father supporting his (children)," said Richard Siegesmund a UGA, associate professor at Lamar Dodd School of Art. "He really sacrificed for them. Michael was so important to him. It's a grievous loss."

Michael Hullender was planning a wedding in 2008.

Now, his family is making funeral arrangements.

Military officials are preparing to fly his body home soon.

Michael Hullender will receive a military burial with full honors. Flanigan Funeral Home in Buford is handling the arrangements. Burial will be in Broadlawn Memorial Garden.

Friends of the Hullenders at Norcross High School and at the Lamar Dodd School of Art at UGA say they are waiting to help the family in any way the can. "We are a very tight-knit group," said Siegesmund from UGA.

As a first-year doctoral student Ren Hullender had made a name for himself. They day before his son died, Ren received a departmental award from UGA for his outstanding work as a classroom teacher. Siegesmund has taken over closing out Hullender's classes as he mourns the loss of his son.

The dad's studies are on hold. Again.

"The pain around this is immense at this point," Siegesmund said. "We are standing by to do what we can."

Clay,

Give our best to his family, if you get the chance.....And Thank them for giving their son, so we all can be free, and at home with our families! He sacrificed a lot for all of us! They will be in our thaughts and prayers. I am also sorry to you, sounds like you also, lost a great friend. Stay safe over there, and come home soon!

So sorry for your loss, he is truly an unsung hero. Medics get no recognition yet they are the most important member of the team and you ask any Marine rifle squad and they will tell you the corpsman is the person they are closest to. Medics are amazing and I hear stories all the time of the heroic things they do to treat the wounded. He is with God now. My prayers to you and his family.

Wayne