IGNORED

Serial Numbers

Bummer

Folks, for a long time now I've wondered just how many of these things have been made. (First and Second, though I don't remember the number of my '85 right off hand, so I'll focus on second for now.) Yamaha's not going to tell us, so we'll have to figure it out for ourselves.

I'm currently riding '06 number 10,039. I had '05 Midnight number 8752, which was totalled by a madman who turned left twenty feet before the intersection even began.

This suggests a max of perhaps 1500 a model year. 3,000 if the standard and S models are numbered seperately. Or do they start over at 0 every year? MMs seem to have their own number set. Does every year get one?

Does anyone have an '06 with a number below 8752? How about an '05 with a number above 10,039?

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out just how rare these things are. Anyone else want to play along?

Steve,

My '06 has number 002015. I would guess that they start over every year and one or more of the first several numbers and letters on the serial number would indicate the model (midnight or standard) and year, and date built.

They sell them all over the world so they may build a lot more than you might think. :2cents:

Steve,

My '06 has number 002015. I would guess that they start over every year and one or more of the first several numbers and letters on the serial number would indicate the model (midnight or standard) and year, and date built.

They sell them all over the world so they may build a lot more than you might think. :2cents:

Well that shoots down a perfectly good theory. Thanks, though, Gary. I needed that. :)

Still, 10,000 or so a year, even per model, isn't all that many. Perhaps not an Enzo Ferrari, but way below a Vette. At the peak the Power Stroke plant put out over 500 engines a shift for three shifts a day, five days a week. Ok, down to under 400 a day now, but that's the way things go. :confused24:

. At the peak the Power Stroke plant put out over 500 engines a shift for three shifts a day, five days a week. Ok, down to under 400 a day now, but that's the way things go. :confused24:

The GM tranny plant I worked at peaked out at 4000 units per day in the late '90s. They've been slowing down ever since and will close the shop in 2010. They're going strong right now due to the small car demand but will still stop production in '10.

I always wondered how they could sell that many units. The numbers kind of boggle my little mind.

Yeah, I couldn't believe that many soccer moms wanted oversized diesel pickup trucks.

I'm half expecting to be called back. The foundry side has picked up a contract with VW and will need steam and air, at least through the winter. Right now they can't even get the work done to be ready for winter because of how deep they cut. The State Inspector done shut 'em down. (Please don't send me that envelope this week...)

Maybe I'll get to realize my dream of working through the winter and vacationing through the summer. Hope springs eternal.