Guest joe_dirt

Guest joe_dirt

Hey i have a 1982 honda Goldwing gl1100 and the guy i bought it from said he has had some carb work done to it recently. The carbs are not syncronized together so i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to sync them without taking it to the shop

thanks,

LCPL. PETTIS:guitarist 2:

Had a 1980 here for repairs for about a month, but never got around to the carbs. It shouldn'r be hard to figure out though.

Carb #1 will be the carb to which the throttle cable is attached and carb #2 will be directly linked to it on a separate linkage. carb #3 will be linked to carb # 1 with another link and Carb #4 will most likely be linked to carb # 3.

So now you need to have a gauge hooked up to the vaccum ports in the intake manifold below the carbs, and then you need to find the adjusting screw that will adjust the throttle opening on each carb, except the one we designated to be #1. #1 will be adjusted with the throttlew stop screw.

By adjusting the screw on #2 you can come up with the same vaccum reading as that of #1. RPM should be steady around 1000. You then adjust #4 (the carb that is linked to #3) to match # 3. You then adjust the # 3 carb to #1, all the while keeping the RPMs as close to 1000 as possible. After each adjustment and before going on to the next carb, you need to crack the throttle a couple of times to make sure all is seating properly.

Hope this helps somewhat, it's kind of basic and will require some knowledge of mechanics and carbs, but to know what to look for might be of help.

The basic idea is that the butterfly at the bottom of the carb creates a vaccum below it. By closing the butterfly you increase vaccum and by opening it you decrease vaccum, hence when all the vaccum readings are the same the butterflys will be open and closed exactly the same and so you have a balance.

Snaupps????

Carl