IGNORED

California model in Minnesota?

schultzb1

This is probably dumb, but here goes.

I purchased a used 97 RSTD (XVZ13AT) this spring from a young gentleman living in St Paul MN. The bike was originally sold new from a dealership in White Bear Lake MN as evidenced by stickers and the service records.

Interestingly enough, the VIN indicates it is a California model (JYA4NLCO) vs a USA model (JYA4NLEO). Sure enough, when I crawled under the bike, there was the little "time bomb" (charcoal canister for evaporative control of the fuel system) attached to the left of the rear shock. This along with my Clymer manual tends to suggest that this is indeed a model intended for sale in California.

Has anyone else run into a California certified model of this vintage originating in states other then California? Other then making adjustment of the preload on the rear suspension a little more "interesting" ,are there any maintenance issues I would need to watch for in the future (vs the 48 state model)?

The bike is great, having just turned over 14,000 miles. I rode a 200 mile run with 350 other bikers this weekend commemorating 3 fallen solders from our area communities. No trouble leaving those famous V-Twins manufactured in Wisconsin in my rearview mirror when "turning up the wick" a bit!

Over time, California models tend to migrate to other more environmentally "friendly" areas.

I would not expect you to have any problems with the scoot here in Minnisoda.

However, if memory serves me, if you are so inclined I believe there have been a couple of threads on plugging or by-passing the AIS.

Maybe Squidley or someone else more knowledgeable can jump in here.

Or, just bring it over to the Pork in the Pines and let us "work" on it for you...

:15_8_211[1]: