IGNORED

considering swicth to venture/rstd from roadliner

hqgreen

Howdy. I'm ready to spend the cabbage and make my roadliner more tour-worthy. Having second thoughts, as there are great deals on the venture and rstd around... Has anyone switched over, or own both. You're feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

http://fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.jpg

http://fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.rear.jpg

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.2007.calendar.jpg&mode=medium

Same bike, new paint job.

Edited by V7Goose
shrink the page

I had a 97 Royal Star TD. I enjoyed it alot. Low on power though. I purchased a Roadliner in Aug of 2006. I truly enjoyed the power, lots of tourque. The bike had a wide, hard as nails seat. Got rotten gas fuel economy (what do you expect from 113cu). Handled well but accessories cost a mint. To bag it the corbin way, which is an awesome look, is way to expensive for this retired soldier. The gauges on the tank looked good, but needed a visor and caused you to look off of the road.

I traded for an 06 RSTD. Heavier bike, much more power than my 97, but not as much tourque as the Roadliner. I rode the machine to Sturgis and back from Northern NY. It was a true pleasure. The ride is firmer, more comfortable, the electronic cruise control is fantastic. The hard bags were great. Power was great for high speed cruising with the wide ratio tranny 5th gear OD, instruments and accessories are great and functional. I have had many machines over the years. vstar 650, harley 1200, yama XS 650, Honda 750, Victory Touring Cruiser and Victory Kingpin, and of course the afrementioned 97 RSTD and the 06 Roadliner. For me, IMHO, the 06 RSTD is an effortless touring machine, with some road cruising attitude. The liner is great around town and the 200 mile haul. Hands down, I will stick with my RSTD. Its my fav of all the machines I have mentioned.

Guest JGorom
I traded for an 06 RSTD. Heavier bike, much more power than my 97, but not as much tourque as the Roadliner. I rode the machine to Sturgis and back from Northern NY. It was a true pleasure. The ride is firmer, more comfortable, the electronic cruise control is fantastic. The hard bags were great. Power was great for high speed cruising with the wide ratio tranny 5th gear OD, instruments and accessories are great and functional. I have had many machines over the years. vstar 650, harley 1200, yama XS 650, Honda 750, Victory Touring Cruiser and Victory Kingpin, and of course the afrementioned 97 RSTD and the 06 Roadliner. For me, IMHO, the 06 RSTD is an effortless touring machine, with some road cruising attitude. The liner is great around town and the 200 mile haul. Hands down, I will stick with my RSTD. Its my fav of all the machines I have mentioned.

I agree with your comments...I owned a 2005 RSTD (until someone ran it over and totalled it) and it is still the best riding bike I have ever owned. It took me about 18 months to get it to where I wanted it (both performance and astetics wise) and only about 2 seconds for someone to hit it and total it). No bike is perfect...there is always something...but the RSTD came close for me.

No bike is perfect, but I'm happy with the rsv I got today. I'm a fan of lots of yamaha products, so I'm sure I'll be happy. Travelling is so much kinder on the venture. I will miss rolling burnouts on the roadliner...sigh.

there are a few added things you can do to pep the venture up. just look in the tech section for details. i have rode a few road star and liners and just cann't get comfortable on them. even my wife could see i wasn't comfortable after seeing me riding on it. hope you enjoy your final choice, don.:dancefool::big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup2:

I have a new 2006 RSTD, and I love it. Been riding it every chance I get. 5600 KM in 3 months, with 3 weeks of rain, and 2 weeks in Vegas in there too. My bike has more than enough power for me, and is nice and tight in the corners. I may be biased, but I don't think you will be disappointed with an RSTD.

Stick with the V-twin.

I suppose it's all in what you want, but I am finding the V4 on my 06 RSTD (even with Bubs installed) doesn't have the same thrill as a V-twin. In fact I'm unloading my RSTD as soon as possible... I'm going back to a V-twin.

So many bikes, so little time.:dancefool:

Guest cwil2988

get rid of the junk tires on it and the RSTD is awesome, only complaint I have found, and didn't realize the difference till I replaced the rear.

:scratchchin:

Impressed with the comfort level of the rsv. Really is elevating my game (literally). Cut the windshield of a friends 00 rsv and replaced my stock w/s with it. It's nice seeing over the windshield. Came out really great. Bike is a beast, for sure...

Stick with the V-twin.

I suppose it's all in what you want, but I am finding the V4 on my 06 RSTD (even with Bubs installed) doesn't have the same thrill as a V-twin. In fact I'm unloading my RSTD as soon as possible... I'm going back to a V-twin.

So many bikes, so little time.

Depends on your definition of "thrill" is. I had an 03 Roadstar Silverado, put 40k miles on it in 3 years. Awesome low end power, but once it started to rev up, it'd lose most of it's acceleration. The Venture is just opposite. The low end is OK, but rev it up and it flies. Plus it was belt drive, after the 2nd belt popped I got rid of it.