IGNORED

Color-rite touch-up

gibvel

Has anyone gotten a Color-rite touch-up paint pen or jar for their bike and how well does the color match? If you got the pen was it fairly easy to use of would you get the jar with a brush next time? Did you end up getting a clear coat to use as well?

Thanks

If you use regular car paint and find the color match. Use basecoat clearcoat paint and just fill the chip. When it dries it will sit down into the chip, then just take a drop of crazy glue and fill till level and let dry. You might have to do it a couple of times. when it is dry you can sand with 600 wet sand paper then 1500 and 2000 then it can be buffed out with compound and if the color match is right you will never see it.

Paul

Guest LFoler

I did the Black Cherry and the clearcoat for my '06, yes it is the fastest color!

I had some very light scratches it covered well, a heavier that did not disappear that much, and a deep gouge on the fender from a bicycle in the garage.

It seems to not be very thick and that is why I think it does not work on deeper scratches. I put on about 5 coats, and it still does not fill very well.

Does stay on though and I think it will not rust in that spot.

Will need to get the fender proffesionally painted though.

Since I am not very experienced with touch up paint I would give it a definate thumb sideways as I hoped it would fill better.

hope this helps.

Has anyone gotten a Color-rite touch-up paint pen or jar for their bike and how well does the color match? If you got the pen was it fairly easy to use of would you get the jar with a brush next time? Did you end up getting a clear coat to use as well?

Thanks

Got the pen. Matches perfectly. I'll get the jar next time. Yes I got the clearcoat too.

It hides rock chips and holds off rust. That's about all that can be said. Convenient but somewhat awkward. It'll take a repaint to do it right.

If you use regular car paint and find the color match. Use basecoat clearcoat paint and just fill the chip. When it dries it will sit down into the chip, then just take a drop of crazy glue and fill till level and let dry. You might have to do it a couple of times. when it is dry you can sand with 600 wet sand paper then 1500 and 2000 then it can be buffed out with compound and if the color match is right you will never see it.

Paul

Paul, some questions for ya since you seem to be "in the know" ... 1500 & 2000? At what point does one know when they've done enuf with the 1500 to switch to the 2000? At what point do ya know when you've done enuf of the 2000? How much of each grit of paper would one go through say... for a piece about 3' x 3'?

If you get a sheet of each that should be plenty. once the chip is filled it will be like a little bump. Knock it down with 600 wetsand paper till flat (be careful not to go too deep and get into the factory paint just get the chip and as little else as possible). Then take your 1500 and do it again this time come out a little into the factory paint and you will be able to feel when the grit is gone while you are wetsanding it. Then move on to the 2000 and come out into the factory paint a little more. It wont take much of the 1500 and 2000 to get the other scratches out from the 600. Then just use a heavier compound then something finer and it is gone.

I actually dropped my gas tank lid after it was finished and i took a nice chip out of it. i did the above steps and have had several people look closely and none could find it when it was done.

If you are not to sure find a piece of painted metal or plastic somewhere doesnt even need to be on the bike and try it out to make sure you dont sand through the original clear. But if you are careful you will have no problems.

Good luck and if you have any other questions when you are doing it just give me a call.

Paul

Paul, some questions for ya since you seem to be "in the know" ... 1500 & 2000? At what point does one know when they've done enuf with the 1500 to switch to the 2000? At what point do ya know when you've done enuf of the 2000? How much of each grit of paper would one go through say... for a piece about 3' x 3'?

I work in a bodyshop as a painter, I've also done a lot of custom painting on Yamaha cycles... there isn't enough clear on the OEM factory paint to do much wet sanding on, you'll go thru the clearcoat very, very easily. NO WAY should you start with 600 grit, by the time you remove those scratches with 1500 then 2000 grit you'll be through the clear before you even start buffing!!! Yamaha uses lacquer and there isn't enough mil thickness to allow for much sanding and buffing. An aftermarket paint job using urethane clear will have A LOT more mil thickness so you could get away with some sanding and polishing, no way will the stock paint job allow for much sanding and buffing at all (not just my opinion, it's for sure fact). Good luck and be careful, Larry

The 600 paper like I said is to just knock off the high spot from filling the chip in, and there you have to be very careful. I have touched up stone chips on 5 bikes in the past 2 months, and 3 of them were factory paint and I have not gone through the clear on any of them and they turned out perfect. Granted the factory paint has a lot less clear on it so you do have to be very careful. But it most certainly can be done.

Paul

The 600 paper like I said is to just knock off the high spot from filling the chip in, and there you have to be very careful. I have touched up stone chips on 5 bikes in the past 2 months, and 3 of them were factory paint and I have not gone through the clear on any of them and they turned out perfect. Granted the factory paint has a lot less clear on it so you do have to be very careful. But it most certainly can be done.

Paul

Paul, I hear ya brother, but 600 grit in the wrong hands could spell disaster. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people try to do themselves then bring it to our shop to "look at" after it's too late and the damage is done :no-no-no: The clear on a OEM bike paint job is quite a bit thinner vs. an automotive OEM job. Glad to hear you've had success, but still warn the inexperienced person to BE CAREFUL when sanding and polishing on their bike. Take care, Larry

Larry no doubt I know what you mean with people bringing stuff in that they have butchered on their own. I get guys coming in several times a week with stuff saying hey can you take a look at this I think I did something wrong trying to do this myself. Then they end up spending twice the money than if they would have brought it to me to begin with.

Paul