IGNORED

Linked brakes

az1103

Has anyone here done a linked brakes modification? Any observations or comments? Does it cause problems in slow speed handling (I am used to back brake only at low speed)? Does it make the pedal feel spungy due to the additional piping?

Yes Alex,

I have worked on this but linking a front brake on a RSV (with a 1st gen proportioning valve) is more work than it's worth. However I have done extensive work and analysis on making the rear brake on the RSV and RSTD into a kinder gentler brake. I have done this with an adjustable proportioning valve off the rear brake master cylinder with good results that several here have installed.

See the Butler Brake Mod in the classified section:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=979

Hope this helps,

Rick

don't know if you have ever ridden a new goldwing but they have linked brakes.heres how they work. the rear master cyl. works the rear caliper and two pistons in the left front caliper. the front master cyl. operates the right front caliper and the other of the three pistons in the left caliper. i think they do this so you can't overbrake the front brakes with your foot in a panic stop. so far i like the set up. you don't have to use alot of foot pressure to stop. it is a well thought out system. the rear brake also operates the anti dive valve on the left front fork. the bike stops perfectly level. i would be a little leary of the rear brake working both front calipers 100%. may get tricky on gravel or slick pavement. :)

Linked brakes affect slow speed turns some. I dont like them if your a rear brake guy for turns. I delinked my 1st Gen brakes but I dont want rear lock up either. Right now I'm not happy with my rear brake I left the proporting valve on and left the brake line in its normal spot and plugged the one to the front but the rear brake it appears does not get a alot of pressure so its barely working. Ii think I'm leaving some braking power on the table. I'm going to switch it to the front position I believe I will get more stopping power there without locking it up. I think the Butler mod with the adjustable set up is a great way to go. I'm looking at using the adjustable valve in case I'm not happy with the current proportioning valve .