well today i got to change the oil which is a big deal for me, now i want to change the final gear oil, my question is do i remove the side bag and if so is it hard to do, remember i'm a mechanical geek. as always you guy's have been great with your help.

thanks,bob

Nope, remove the LEFT bag. Very simple. Just 4 allen head screws and it comes right off. All four are on the inside of the bag, two on the bottom and two on the upper back.

Then just remove the plug at the bottom of the drive and drain the oil. Replace the plug and remove the fill plug. Just fill it until it just starts running out. I do this with the bike on a stand so it sits level.

well today i got to change the oil which is a big deal for me, now i want to change the final gear oil, my question is do i remove the side bag and if so is it hard to do, remember i'm a mechanical geek. as always you guy's have been great with your help.

thanks,bob

It makes it much easier to change the final drive oil if you remove the saddlebag. I have to because my meat hooks won't fit behind the bag. It removes rather easily. There are 4 allen head bolts that need to be removed from inside the bag.

Yes, the side bag needs to come off and no it's not hard to do. Four bolts to remove. They are metric so don't try and use SAE wrenches.

Once the bag is off be careful not to drop and lose the rubber cushions or washers or the chrome spacer on the rear side bolt.

With the bike on the side stand drain the oil out of the rear end asby. by removing the bottom drain plug. Don't lose the washer off of the drain plug. Replace the drain plug and remove the filler plug and fill with the correct gear oil. I like Amsoil 80-90 gear lube.

Let me add that if these bags have never been off before, the bolts are set pretty tight at the factory(believe it or not). Make sure you have the right size tool, as these bolts are soft and will strip easily. :080402gudl_prv:

I never remove the saddle bag. I found a pump at Walmart that fits on the top of a gear oil bottle. Just remove the drain plug from below and then clean off the drain plug. Put the drain plug back in. Remove the fill plug, put the tube from the pump in the fill hole and pump until a slight amount drains out of the fill hole. Then replace the plug and wipe everything down and go for a ride.