IGNORED

South Dakota-Mt. Rushmore Planning Help

V-4 Vendetta

Hello all,

I am just starting to plan for a trip to South Dakota in 2009. I want to see Mt. Rushmore, ride Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway. We are coming up from Oklahoma. I was wondering how many here have taken this trip. I would like suggestions and advice on what to avoid, what to see, and the best times of the year to go.

Thanks...

Bill

You would be wise to avoid the week before and after the rally, as well as rally week, unless the Sturgis Rally is your thing. The rally causes incredible traffic and noise, high prices,:mo money: and makes finding lodging or camping space very difficult. The rally is usually the first full week of August, so July 27 through August 14, of 2009 are the dates to avoid.

I would avoid Pine Ridge and all but the fringes of the Pine Ridge reservation. There’s a fair amount of gang and drug activity and quite a few alcohol impaired folks along the road in White Clay/Pine Ridge.

The Black Hills in SD & WY is a beautiful place to ride. Don’t forget to add Spearfish Canyon & Devil’s Tower to your list of places to see. You’ll also want to consider riding through Badlands National Park. You can see a lot more of Badlands National Park and the Black Hills if you don’t mind riding on gravel roads. There’s plenty of pavement, but sometimes the best views are on the gravel.:photographing:

Watch out for buffalo, burros, and other critters while riding through Custer State Park.:duck: The buffalo don’t seem to care for bikes, so it’s best to view them from a safe distance. Also, you ought to practice performing U-turns on a two-lane road with no shoulders as this maneuver may keep you from getting trapped by traffic stopped to look at the buffalo. Buffalo are wild and unpredictable critters and they occasionally remind idiots that they don’t care for close interaction.

The deer are pretty thick up here, so use caution during early morning and evening/night rides.

Hi OB-1, What a great post for someone going to visit your area. I do have a question for you however, I'm planning on being there the second week in September. What is the weather like normally that time of year? How about the traffic that time of year?:confused24:

Thanks, BigD

Hi OB-1, What a great post for someone going to visit your area. I do have a question for you however, I'm planning on being there the second week in September. What is the weather like normally that time of year? How about the traffic that time of year?:confused24:

Thanks, BigD

The weather should still be warm then, 70's to 80's for daytime highs and the nights should cool down into the 40's. The only time traffic is a problem is during the rally. Now watch it snow in mid September:snow: since I said it would be warm!:doh:

Guest Michael Kleine

Ob-1 is accurate on every account, but if you have never been to the sturgis rally,try it once. Yes, it is crowded and expensive for rooms, but if you book them now or when they start taking reservations you can get some deals.

If you are in that part of the country you must visit the "Beartooth Highway"

The Beartooth All-American Road!

http://www.beartoothhighway.com/images_site/content/mainpic_home.jpg Heralded as one of the most scenic drives in the United States the route features breathtaking views of the Absaroka and Beartooth Mountains, and open high alpine plateaus dotted with countless glacial lakes, forested valleys, waterfalls and wildlife. The Beartooth All-American Road provides easy access to Yellowstone National Park at its northeast entrance. Take time to enjoy this unique travel destination and all of the amenities, attractions and historic sites in the great Yellowstone area

Well V-4 I'll tell ya,,,, I have a little different perspective of the Rally then already mentioned.. Yes it is very busy, it is CRAZY with CRAZY folks and indeed it can be and IS dangerous BUT there are some very good reasons for this..

One of the main reasons that problems happen during the Rally days was pointed out to me a couple years ago by an old lady who was working in a Laundrymat in Rapid City. I can quote her and even though she was purely a non-biker her words of wisdom were spot on - "most if not all of the deaths and other crashing going on during the Rally are caused by yuppies who buy a bike, never ride it, tow it to Sturgis, unload it and try to pretend they know what there doing". You dont fit into that scene so I bet you would be fine..

I have toured the Black Hills many times both during the Rally and during other times of the year. Personally I have come to enjoy those first two weeks of August out there.. I am not a partyer but AM an avid touring freak. I LOVE the control of the road that thousands of bikers give you when your riding.. Cagers pay wayyyyyyyy more attention to us when they are out numbered 1000 to 1 and cops are amazingly friendly.. The little things like going 2 mph over the speed limit (I actually got a ticket for that in one of those little towns once - cost me 90 bucks for 2 over) are not even noticed..

I am also one of those drop the bag on the ground and sleep types so finding sleep is no problem, after riding 16 hours its amazing how easily sleep comes - even my daughters came to really enjoy it!!

No matter when you go you REALLY need to ride back roads and get to know some folks out there.. SD people are the greatest folks on the planet.. If you do take all Highway do yourself a HUGE favor and stop at Draper - it is about 1 1/2 hour before Wall Drug SD and is on the North side of 90.. It is a super neat little Cowboy town with gravel for a main road - the Mayor of the town also owns a little fab shop, I stop out there everytime I go thru just to say hi - neat town and a good example of the type of scenery/kindness you will find in the REAL SD!! If you stopout there look up the Mayor or go to the firebarn (top of the hill on mainstreet) and tell them the guy who rides a real old Honda Chopper from Michigan to Sturgis told you to stop - you will have instant friends guarenteed!!!

Also, Rushmore is prettiest at night, Deadwood is AWESOME and if you go thru the town and up the hill you can coast all the way back thru town if your brakes arent draggin.. Also, at the "end" of the Spearfish Canyon ride there is a Lodge with a gravel road that goes to the right of it.. There is a sign there that posts the mileage for waterfalls up ahead - its not very far (few miles) and the falls are GORGEOUS!! Also, if you stay on that gravel road and ride all day (a young man that I met on the road a couple years ago had JUST purchased a brand new Harley Heritage and he did this with me) you will pass a small sign up inthe mountains that says "Wyoming State Line".. Pay no attention to the funny looks the quad riders give you because eventually you will come out on pavement about 20 minutes from devils tower AND those quad riders will be long gone!!!

Make sure you take a cheap, digital camera that is SD compatable - pick up a couple of 1 gig sticks for it and LOTS of batteries. Carry it close to you at all times so you can snap pics in a heartbeat.. If you drop the camera while your taken pic off your bike on the highway you can always go back - take the stick out and toss the smashed camera and grab another at Wally World..

Concerning where to ride to get the best ride,,, just stay in the Black Hills and you cant go wrong - its gorgeous out there!!! Although, One of my daughters LOVES to do the Badlands National park - starting from the East Entrance - go thru - come out the West Entrance - then do Wall Drug (its not far from the West Entrance) for Lunch/Dinner and then go back thru the Badland Park and take the exit on the Back side of the Park before you get back to the East entrance - I cannot remember how its posted but its arrowed for a small town on the back of the park (if you dont want to pay a park fee you can still go thru the park from the East Entrance to get to this little town - just tell them your going straight thru but DO go straight thru as the rangers will be waiting for you if you dont!!).. Anyway. Follow that exit and roadway up to Rapid City - Its an awesome ride and a rode not ridden by lots of bikes.. Its awesome to see the back side of the Badlands!!

Take binoculars and lots of sun screen.. Use lots of Lip Sun screen too and I use lip stuff on my nose and ear tops too.. Take a tire guage and check your tires before you go mountain riding the first time - low tire pressure is dangerous!!

I am heading out for the east coast with a group of 7 other rider (4 wings, a Harley, a RSTD and my ol Venture) this week- hopefully back in time to catch the second week of Sturgis so may see you out there! HAVE FUN!!

Puc