Seaking. Links included. Let us know what you can't find.

JBC930 (2) Stud Mount - JBC930

18SMMPL (1) 18SMMPL

203EZ (2) Antenna Fold Over Adapter - 203EZ

From WestCoastMall.net

1 x FL3-B 3-Foot FireFly Antenna Tuneable Tip BLACK (FL3-B)

1 x AMFM3-B AM-FM Antenna (AMFM3-B)

I had placed my order last evening from a WalCott and appears I might have goofed on the antennas.. I had ordered two FL3B firefly..

I attempted to purchase the AMFM3-B AM/FM Antenna from WestCoast but they don't seem to be set up for Canadian purchases online.. so an email is sent off requesting assistance..

Can you please confirm that I would need to order the AMFM3 antenna as well.. one of your earlier messages indicated two of the FL3 antennas and then later a message shows the AMFM3-B AM/FM Antenna.. in my confusion I ordered two of the FL3 with tuneable tips.. It's not worry, the price is good enough on the AMFM3 antenna... and I can offload the surplus antenna easily..

But if the same FL3 antenna can be used for the AM/FM then no worries.. but I dunno..

Thanks M8

Edited by Seaking

That's correct. You can either buy 2 Firefly's or 1 Firefly and one AM/FM. Just personel preference which way you want to go. It will work either way.

Phew! Thanks M8.. good thing I couldn't order the AM/FM radio after all.. it was only $14 or so..

I'll give you a shout when I get it all done.

Prior to that buddies and I are going to do range testing on the Fm and CB radio.. they're interested in doing this mod also but because of a HD buddy who had a dismal experience with his mod, they are leery of trying it.

Cheers

Bummer or anyone else need you to jump in please. Correct me if I am wrong or confirm if I remember right.

Once you have everything connected make sure you have a 25' circumfrence of open space (no metal besides your bike) or else it will mess up your SWR readings.

Make sure you note the order of the parts as you taken them off the bike. You will need to put them in the same spot when you reassemble using the Firefly antennas or else it won't work properly.

In adjusting SWR, take the black cap off of the Firefly, adjust the screw all the way down to the base, put the black cap back on, check SWR, if wrong, take the tip off, rotate the screw so it goes up (just do your own guessing here, maybe start by 1 or 2 complete rotations), check SWR, just keep doing it until you are w/in or as close to spec as possible.

For the Firefly that you are going to be using as am/fm, not sure if there is any tuning involved since I bought an am/fm antenna.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The distance is one wavelength from pretty much anything, which for CB is about 33 feet. I read one source that put it at 15 meters. I don't know how important this really is. I tuned the antenna with the required space, then out of curiosity I checked it in my driveway with trees, buildings, and stuff everywhere. I got pretty much the same reading both times. Maybe a needle tip difference. I'll still go with the space, but mostly because I've been told to.

Keep track of that insulating washer. It's easy to miss it being on the wrong side. :)

I've adjusted three Fireflys on Ventures. In each case I wound up turning that tip all the way in then slowly moving it out at most a turn or two to get the best numbers. I don't know if this is coincidence or not.

Make sure you take the reading with the rubber tip on the antenna.

Don't even hook up a mic while you're doing this.

I suspect a CB antenna will be ok for picking up AM/FM without change. It'll probably not be optimum, bit it should work. How many cars have you seen with a coat hanger poked in a broken off antenna socket?

Ok

I understand the 2 antennas, the base and the fold over adapter.

The "part" i am missing the the cable ends.

If you don't buy the 18" coax for the CB and the 12 foot Coax for the radio - but you simply cut the ends off of the existing coax very close to the existing attenna mounts - what type of connectors (part number and installation) do you put on the now bare ends so they have a new screw pin mount to attach to the new base?

I have never replaced an end on a coax before? IS that complicated?

It seems most people get away with the trading of the coax ends rather than the full (and very time consuming) coax replacement.

Appreciate the help

I just received my order in from Walcott to change out both the CB and AM/FM antenna and to my dismay I realized someone forgot to order 2 heavy duty mounts.. ergh!!!

I'll have to play an order for another one and wait till THAT comes in before doing the change over, lest the whole looks 'odd'.. grr..

another week or so of waiting.. ;)

Ok

I understand the 2 antennas, the base and the fold over adapter.

The "part" i am missing the the cable ends.

If you don't buy the 18" coax for the CB and the 12 foot Coax for the radio - but you simply cut the ends off of the existing coax very close to the existing attenna mounts - what type of connectors (part number and installation) do you put on the now bare ends so they have a new screw pin mount to attach to the new base?

I have never replaced an end on a coax before? IS that complicated?

It seems most people get away with the trading of the coax ends rather than the full (and very time consuming) coax replacement.

Appreciate the help

You need PL-259 connectors.

This page shows how to solder the plugs onto the wire. Scroll down to the Soldering Guide.

I got this stuff locally, and wound up using UG-176 adapters from Radio Shack along with the connectors themselves. Just take the wire with you and get the adapters that fit. They also sell solderless PL-259 connectors, but I don't know how well they work.

You might also want to get 90s. That'll allow for a somewhat shorter wire.

Bummer,

I want to say there was something else too. It might just have to deal with the connector I had or the one I got from you, but I seem to remember a connector had like 2 teeth (one on each side of each other) and you took a file to cut a groove in the mount for those teeth to fit in.

If you aren't sure what I am referring to, I will try and get pics for everyone to see.

Ok so now that I have all my parts in (somehow forgot to order a second mount..d'oh) I'm going to be installing these firesticks on the Midnight Venture. Seems straight forward installation, route the cables and plug them in, mounting the hardware etc.. I need to get into the front fairing anyway to tuck some wiring away anyway.. no worries there.

The adjusting of the CB antenna though.. I gather it's all about hooking up a meter to the antenna system and adjusting the top of the antenna to get a great signal? Where does this meter get attached to? Do I have to have my trunk removed to do this, to gain access to the CD box? I have a buddy who can do it for me but would like to know before putting everything back together again..

Thanks in advance..

Once you have the Firestik instaled, it will have a cable that just screws onto the bottom of the antenna mount. You will simply unscrew the cable from the antenna and screw it into the back of the meter. You will need another cable to screw into the other socket on the back of the meter and then back to the antenna. Basically you are just putting the meter inline with the antenna. I picked up a short, 3 ft. I think, cable at a local truck stop to use for tuning. Just picked up a new one a week ago because the old one I had was bad.

Once you have the Firestik instaled, it will have a cable that just screws onto the bottom of the antenna mount. You will simply unscrew the cable from the antenna and screw it into the back of the meter. You will need another cable to screw into the other socket on the back of the meter and then back to the antenna. Basically you are just putting the meter inline with the antenna. I picked up a short, 3 ft. I think, cable at a local truck stop to use for tuning. Just picked up a new one a week ago because the old one I had was bad.

Oh sweet.. and here I was thinking I'd have to leave the trunk apart to access the radio for the testing.

Many thanks M8!!